-  Image Collection

Ship Ahoy, Tollesbury. Gowers Postcard No.243 posted before 1910.
The 17th Century inn was formerly named 'The Crooked Billet', then variously as 'The Hoy' and the 'Ship Ahoy'. It was closed after the First World War. Once part of the Guisnes Court estate, it was a rendezvous for smugglers with their illicit cargoes. 
The building, along with Old Hall marshes, is now owned by RSPB, bought as a result of the Eric Morecambe Memorial Appeal in 1985.
Old Hall, Tollesbury. 
Ann Jones wrote (May 2014):
This was the home where my Great Grandfather Richard Banyard grew up. He was born in 1865. His parents were Richard Banyard and mother Sarah maiden name Walford, who also lived in Tollesbury. Young Richard was 8 when his mother died, and 14 when his father died in 1879 so we have not yet checked the census as to whether his father had already left the pub when he died. We do know that young Richard went to live with his uncle John Banyard who we think was a grocer in Tollesbury.
Photograph used in Tollesbury Past by Keith Lovell, plate 62.
</p><p><b>Read More</b>
<a href=mmresdetails.php?col=MM&ba=cke&typ=ID&pid=FGD_102&rhit=1 ID=1>Recollections from Fred Garrod </a></p> Before 1910. Photo: Cedric Gurton Tollesbury
The Beach, West Mersea. Postcard by F.W. Pawsey & Sons. c1955.
Birch Church of England School. 3rd Form. 1947 ?
Back Row (row 4) L-R 1. John Clark, 2. Michael Williams, 3. David Whybrow, 4. Jimmy Ponder, 5. Tony Partner, 6. Roy Vauhan [Vaughan ?], 7. Ronnie Burmby.
Row 3 standing 1. Pat Bishop, 2. Russell Pulford, 3. Kenneth Graham, 4. John Smith, 5. Mrs Cornhill, 6. Tony Playle, 7. Dennis Johnson, 8. Peter Jones, 9. John Pullford.
Row 2 1. June Mills, 2. Violet Shepperd, 3. Evelyn Hyam, 4. Connie Mansfield, 5. Hazel Ponder, 6. Pamelar White, 7. Dorothy Theobald (Buckle), 8. Ann Fensom.
Front row 1. Tony Andrews, 2. Eddie Theobald, 3. Barry Smith, 4. Ronnie MacClellen, 5. Ray Smith, 6. Andrew Strathern.
Photo 8 TBM B.S. c1947. Photo: T.B. Millatt
The LORD WARDEN at Church Wharf Salcot unloading flints, c1920. Her skipper at this time was Jack Spitty. 
Used in Down Tops'l page 65 - caption is:
LORD WARDEN after a stack at Salcot, where the creek is now dammed. On this trip the LORD WARDEN's skipper met his future wife, and they were married in the church hard by. Their son has been named after the barge. Page 123 names the skipper as Jack Spitty and his son as Victa Warden Spitty.
LORD WARDEN was built Sandwich 1891 for William Jas. Hughes, Official No. 97705. She was later owned by Clem Parker at Bradwell and Wakeley Bros of Rainham. c1920.
The urn and bones from the Roman burial barrow on East Mersea Road, soon after their return to Mersea in August 2014. They are on loan from Colchester and Ipswich Museums. When the bones were analysed, they were sorted and some of these are now on the shelf outside the urn. The bones on the left of the shelf are leg bones, in the centre are floating bits that contained the interesting new find - frankincense, and on the right are vertebrae.
The barrow is thought to date from 100 - 120 AD. 10 August 2014.
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Aerial Views
-

Mersea

-

Other


Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Church Year Book 1951

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

Mersea Island Golf Club

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Hoy

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Electoral Rolls

-

Fair Haven

-

Fishermen's Coop

-

Gowens

-

Wills

-

Other


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Dunwich

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Thorrington

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2024
Hosted by Krystal.io