1. Photograph from Joan Pullen. Sergeant in Royal Army Service Corps front right.
Date: April 1944
Image ID AN02_001_003
2. "With Best Wishes to Emmy, Rue and Joan from Geoff".
Geoff Green. The uniform is unusual in that there is no insignia. Geoff was a prisoner of war for some ...
Image ID AN04_004_005
3. North West Frontier 1942.
Sunday morning stroll in the Garrison wall.s
From H.D. Young, Captain.
Norman Ward spent time in Burma and India during ...
Image ID AN04_007_001
4. Army - Field Ambulance Corps. Norman Ward front left ? (no caption with photo.
Image ID AN12_019_001
5. Wedding of Sgt James Argent and Winifred Joan Mussett
L-R 1. Joan Pullen, 2. Elgar Mussett, 3. Valerie Farthing, 4. ?, 5. James Argent, 6. Joan Mussett, 7. ...
Date: 7 August 1943
Image ID AN13_016_005
6. Peace celebration street party after WW2, in Station Road, Tollesbury.
The car on the left is AEV271.
Image ID ATR_TBY_013
7. Essex at War, compiled by the Editorial Staff of Essex County Standard and edited by Hervey Benham.
There is also a copy of this in Hervey Benham cupboard ...
Image ID BOX005_009_C001
8. Girls of the Royal Observer Corps 18 group inspected by Air-Commodore Finlay Crerar, CBE (Commandant R.O.C.) at Birch aerodrome, on stand-down.
Date: July 1945
Image ID BOX005_009_P105
9. Women's Institute jam-makers at Birch.
From Essex at War by Hervey Benham, page 121.
This is in the kitchen at Birch Hall. See ...
Date: cDecember 1940
Image ID BOX005_009_P121
10. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the ...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
11. MMS 1012 [on back of photograph]
FY PT 1012 leaves the river Colne after completion and commissioning in 1943. The harbour party and an officer are ...
Date: c15 October 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_024
12. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. The boat belongs to Derek 'Dink' Ball. Ashley Upsher in orange ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_001
13. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. A section of the wing resting on the mud. The conger eel was ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_019
14. Maldon Road, Tiptree. Junction with Station Road. WW2 Anti-invasion barriers beside the road.
Image ID CG27_015
15. Mrs Lawrence.
Pat and Fred.
May 1940 just before the evacuees were sent away from Mersea. [From back of photograph].
The girl on the right was ...
Date: May 1940
Image ID CHS_017
16. Layer de la Haye. V.E. Day. All available school children and mothers from the village.
Brian Chaplin says: I am child on the extreme of the photograph ...
Date: 6 May 1945
Image ID CLN_SCH_003
17. Bessie and Pip. The notes on the back say:
The Red Setter Pip was blown up mine 1943. There were mines set all along Beach during War 1939 to 1945. Pip got ...
Image ID CW2_P09_015
18. Grace Stoker nee Cudmore and Joyce Stoker outside the Old Victory.
Image ID DB01_018_005
19. Royal Observer Corp marching in the parade during Wings for Victory Week. Herbert Marrow is in the centre of the picture, in the centre of the leading ...
Date: 25 May 1943
Image ID DCA_001
20. Royal Observer Corp in Mersea during WW2. Major Maughfling and Bill Clarry operate a Post Instrument Plotter with a Mickelthwait height adjuster attachment. ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_001
21. Mersea Observer Corps sitting outside the church.
L-R Sid Stoker, Ernie Woods, Jack Mole, Dick Haward, young Richard Haward, Herbert Burgess, Vic Mussett, ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_002
22. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of ...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
23. Royal Artillery at Mersea.
Thought to be 373 Coastal Defence Battalion, who were at West Mersea from July 1940.
Front row L-R 6. is Sgt. Major Harry [ ...
Image ID DMC_001
24. Frederick Bertrand Harnack RSMA God Bless Him 17 yrs (LRB) stretcher bearer RNVR Lt at 45 in 1942.
Used in Fid Harnack RSMA, published by Mersea Island ...
Image ID FID_003_055
25. Zebedee Milgate, George Milgate, Johnny Hempstead (Mechanic), Sid Milgate (Painter).
Picture taken at the bottom of Kingsland Road near Stoker's Cafe ( ...
Date: cAugust 1946
Image ID FL01_069_001
26. West Mersea Fire Brigade - the wartime AFS fire engine.
L-R Oscar Whiting, Ernie Dixon, Gordon Mussett, Bob Russell, HoraceWhiting and Bob ...
Image ID FL04_038_001
27. Owen Kitchener 'Tich' Hewes worked in a shipyard in Chichester. Owen believes 'Tich' was killed by a mine in the River Blackwater on a part of the river that ...
Image ID FL07_004_001
28. One of many Second World War gun emplacements. This is the only survivor on the promenade and is now called "Two Sugars". To the left of this building linked by ...
Image ID FL08_014_003
29. Newspaper cuttings 1941-42
28 June 1941 Death of Sapper Owen Kitchener Hewes or Royal Engineers. Also mentions the death of his sister Kate (Mrs ...
Image ID FL14_011
30. Land Girls. George 'Hoilly' Green with girls of Women's Land Army. Bottom of Fairhaven Avenue. Elsie & Doris lodged with David Green's parents.
Image ID GRD_LAN_001