Mersea Churches

West Mersea Parish Church
of St Peter & St Paul

The church is built on the site of a Roman Villa and pieces of Roman tile and brick can be found in its walls. The tower is probably the oldest part, dating from 11th Century, with many additions over the years...
Read More...
  West Mersea Parish Church c1987
West Mersea Parish Church c1987
 
East Mersea Parish Church of St Edmund King and Martyr
Built on the site of a 9th Century Danish encampment, the earliest parts of East Mersea Parish Church are thought to be from the 11th Century. It is a delightful country church, with East Mersea Hall nearby and a lane down to the sea from the days when much trade came by boat.
Read More...
  East Mersea Church
East Mersea Parish Church 2009
 
Wesleyan Chapel later named Methodist Church
The Wesleyan Chapel was opened in Mill Road in 1861, replacing a barn that had been used for meetings. It later became known as the Methodist Church.
Read More...
  Methodist Church
Methodist Church, West Mersea
 
Congreational Church
Congregational Chapel, later called Union Church (Congregational Baptist) and then Free Church. It is in Mill Road, and is known locally as 'Top Chapel'
Read More...
  Congregational Chapel
Congregational Chapel, West Mersea
 
Roman Catholic Church of St Cedd and St Gregory
The newest church on the Island, built in 1962. After all the years of travel to Colchester, the Catholic parishioners on the island at last had their own home.
Read More...
  St Cedd Roman Catholic Church
St Cedd Roman Catholic Church
 
Assembly Hall, East Road
The Assembly Hall was built by some of the early developers on the island and opened in June 1910. It was extended in 1926 and 1934. An early history describes it as the Plymouth Bretheren Assembly Hall.
Read More...
  Assembly Hall, West Mersea
An early photograph of the Assembly Hall, West Mersea
 
City Hall, The Lane
Built 1930 on the site of the old Ship public house in The Lane, by two maiden Christian ladies, and still used for worship and preaching.
Read More...
  City Hall, West Mersea
Old City Hall in The Lane
 
Strict Baptist Meeting House
Built in the 19th Century, the chapel in Meeting House Lane East Mersea faded away in the years before WW2 and nothing remains of it now.
Read More...
  City Hall, West Mersea
Old City Hall in The Lane


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2017