1. Postcard of sailing barge BLACKWATER at Bradwell. Believed to be pre-1935.
The distant vessel is most likely to be CARNARVONSHIRE 9,406 grt built 1914, but...
Date: Before 1935
Image ID RG040003
2. The last berth for a pair of Thames sailing barges, in the Blackwater, just above Heybridge Basin. The nearest barge is the CHARLES BURLEY, Official No.115905,...
Date: 14 June 2009
Image ID IA003275
3. Barge GOLDEN FLEECE unloading timber on Mersea Hard. The lorries are ex-Army World War I lorries with solid tyres.
The left lorry NO1671 is from Clifford...
Image ID IA002310
4. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Believed to have been taken by skipper George Blake or his camera.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and...
Image ID HBC_018_001
5. Barge P.A.M. discharging stone at Mersea Strood, with a cheerful gang of Ukrainians. From "Tide Time" by A.S. Bennett, published 1949. Chapter X describes the...
Image ID IA002160
6. Flooding Mistley Quay
Image ID BF03_001_034_001
7. HADLEIGH CASTLE 1912 loading threshing tackle Barling Quay to deliver on Potton Island. James Walton on deck (left hand). From H Smith, High Street, Great...
Image ID BF03_001_045_001
8. Ketch barge KATE & EMILY at Pin Mill. Official Number 415.
The Big Barges describes the KATE and EMILY as "A clumsy barge with square stern and round...
Image ID BF03_001_049_001
9. The last commercial square rigger to discharge at Ipswich with the spritsail barges MAY and KIMBERLEY. Photo Arthur Bennett.
The square rigged ship is the...
From: LOCAL PHOTOS, POSTCARDS
Image ID BF03_001_121_001
10. Revival of straw trade. Stackies being towed down Colchester River in 'convoy', bound for the Kent paper mills. The left hand barge is BRITISH EMPIRE registered...
Image ID BF03_002_003_002
11. Schooner barge FRIENDSHIP of 1890. Another copy of the photograph has the caption "Ketch barge under tow leaving Dover ( Roger Finch )"
From MNL 1891:...
Date: after 1890
Image ID BF03_003_007_002
12. A latter-day stack barge, the VIOLET of Maldon, owned by Francis and Guilders of Colchester, towing down the Colne off Rowhedge in 1948. The hold and deck are...
Image ID BF67_001_042_001
13. John Leather at the wheel of a barge. The location
is Rowhedge Ironworks where John worked as a draughtsman and surveyor as
evident by the leather patches...
Image ID BF68_001_008_001
14. Unknown barge loaded with timber passing Rowhedge. CAP PILAR and Wivenhoe in background.
Image ID BF68_001_030_007
15. CAMBRIA unloading at Fingringhoe. She was built by the Everards at Greenhithe in 1906 and registered in London Official No. 120676.
Image ID BF68_001_030_014
16. NORTHDOWN and REDOUBTABLE
Image ID BF68_001_126_001
17. Barges in the snow at Colchester Hythe. Ice on the river - the view is down the Colne from Hythe Bridge. The barge nearest is FLEUR DE LIS and on the opposite...
Image ID BF68_001_129_002
18. Aldous Successors Ltd catalogue - page 26. Smithy and Ironwork section. Photo of barge RUNIC being converted. Official No. 118460.
Image ID BF69_001_029
19. Barge RUNIC being converted at Aldous Successors, Brightlingsea. Official No. 118460, built Krimpen 1904, owned by E.J. & W. Goldsmith.
Photograph from an...
Image ID BF69_001_029_001
20. Sailing barge prepares to drop down through the opening in the Army bridge across the Colne connecting Rowhedge with Wivenhoe. This was built by the Royal...
From: Rowhedge photos and documents
Image ID BF70_001_050_001
21. Spritsail barge VIGILANT of Harwich converted to a yacht in 1934 for E.H. Clifford. She was built by W.H. Orvis and Co. at Ipswich in 1904 for owners at Mistley...
Image ID BOX008_003_P095_001
22. Coals from Newcastle, by Roger Finch.
Image ID BOX023_007_C01
23. Captain T. Francis notebook - barge VERA.
22 June 1910 delivered 85 tons oil from Colchester to London at 3/ton.
2 July 1910 delivered 114 tons...
Date: 22 June 1910
Image ID BOXB1_012_006
24. 16 July 1910 Colchester to London and 6 August 1910 London to Colchester. Signed by W.S. Jarvis.
Captain T. Francis notebook - barge VERA.
Date: 6 July 1910
Image ID BOXB1_012_008
25. 13 August 1910 6 days demurrage. On the ways.
24 September 1910 delivered 91 tons Linseed and 200 qrs Barley. Signed W.S. Jarvis.
From Captain T....
Date: 13 August 1910
Image ID BOXB1_012_010
26. 25 September 1913 delivered 73 tons 3 cwt oil from Colchester to London.
10 October 1913 delivered from London to Colchester 114 tons 12 cwt...
Date: 25 September 1913
Image ID BOXB1_012_106
27. 6 September 1916 delivered 92 tons of oil at 4/6.
26 September 1916 delivered 124 tons Linseed at 4/ per ton. Signed W.S. Jarvis 27 September 1916. The...
Date: 6 September 1916
Image ID BOXB1_012_200
28. Sailing Barges. [DW]
Barges weighing anchor in the Colne on a fine summer's morning as
others sail out of the river, bound for the Spitway, a narrow,...
Image ID BOXB5_012_001
29. Barges on the Orwell off Harwich. [DW]
Barges becalmed in the Orwell, off Harwich, 1934. Sailing barges were at the mercy of calms and in light airs much...
Image ID BOXB5_012_003
30. XYLONITE steel barge at Mistley. [DW]
Foredeck of a working barge. The XYLONITE at Mistley Quay, 1947. This photograph shows in detail the hand windlass,...
Image ID BOXB5_012_005