1. In the years before World War 2, Harwich was a regular venue for big yacht racing and the Big Class season would start with Harwich Regatta and work its way...
Date: June 1934
Image ID BOXA4_031_009
2. Evening Harwich. Smacks.
Image ID BOXB1_008_003
3. Postcard - Harwich Harbour. Valentine's Series 23743. Fishing boat HH309
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_004_001_001
4. Barges on the Orwell off Harwich. [DW]
Barges becalmed in the Orwell, off Harwich, 1934. Sailing barges were at the mercy of calms and in light airs much...
Image ID BOXB5_012_003
5. The steel hulled VELSHEDA thundering along off Harwich in 1934. She is preparing to round a mark before squaring away on a run to the finishing line. The...
Image ID BOXB5_013_001
6. Harwich about 1947. CK104 in the foreground is the Tollesbury smack BLUEBELL, owned by L. Heard. A shrimp trawl hangs from her mast.
Used in Smacks and...
From: Smacks and Bawleys
Image ID BOXB6_001_001_017
7. Sailing barge GLADYS new at Harwich in 1900. The back of photo marked H Cann.
Image ID HBC_006_016
Image ID LH1_034
9. Seamen aboard a submarine, possibly a U-boat. The destroyer in the background is pennant number H65. Photograph ...
Image ID PBIB_NAV_421
10. Royal Navy seamen aboard a submarine. To the right are submarines U117, UB148 and AK1.
Photograph thought to be taken at Harwich between November 1918 and May...
Image ID PBIB_NAV_423
11. Harwich c1951. The smack is CK41 BETSAN which was owned by Roy Lewis of Tollesbury.
In the background departing (under tow ?) is the troopship VIENNA 4,326...
Image ID PBIB_SMA_040
12. Harwich - The Camber.
Image ID RG05_235
13. The Pound, Harwich. Postcard H2827.
Image ID RG11_525
14. Harwich Reserve Fleet, 1951. HMS PINCHER M294 on the left and HMS ZENITH D95 on the right. Depot ship is not known.
Image ID TM51_0001
15. Harwich Reserve Fleet --- R.F.A. DODMAN POINT.
Image ID TM51_0002
16. Harwich Reserve Fleet --- floating dock.
Image ID TM51_0003
17. Tilbury ferry ROSE being hauled up the slipway at Harwich Navyard. Soon after this, the site became Navyard Wharf.
ROSE was built 1960, 214 tons gross. In...
Date: 22 March 1962
Image ID TM62_0005
18. Ferry BRIGHTLINGSEA arriving Halfpenny Pier, Harwich. She was built at Rowhedge Ironworks 1925 for the LNER ferry services between Harwich, Shotley and...
Date: 5 September 1963
Image ID TM63_0060