1. Aldous Successors Limited, Brightlingsea. Twin Screw Survey Vessel PENELOPE for Nigerian Navy. Yard No. 931, launched 30 Sept 1958. Rivetted construction, she...
Date: After 30 September 1958
Image ID BF69_011_010
2. Minesweeper CALTON M1118 on trials. Built by Wivenhoe Shipyard, completed 12 November 1954.
From: Wivenhoe shipyards photos and documents
Image ID BF73_001_049_001
Afloat and ready to be warped alongside for completion. The stockpiles and the small barge quay of the Rowhedge Sand and Ballast Company are in the...
Image ID BOXB5_014_012
4. The 105ft wooden motor minesweeper J.315 proceeds down the river Colne after completion, flying the white ensign and commissioned to serve in sweeping magnetic,...
Image ID BOXB5_014_014
5. MMS 1012 [on back of photograph]
FY PT 1012 leaves the river Colne after completion and commissioning in 1943. The harbour party and an officer are...
Date: c15 October 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_024
6. The death of a shipyard.
A tiny craft left the slipway at Wivenhoe on Tuesday. It marked the death of a shipyard.
It was a small Admiralty suppy...
Date: 20 January 1961
Image ID BOXL_035_001_002
7. LAUNCHING DAY was always a great occasion. HMS ICKWORTH goes down the ways in 1954. From Essex County Standard 3 July 1964.
But, the caption is in error...
Image ID BOXL_041_001_001
8. Isaac Rice written on back - thought to be Isaac Rice Junior.
Naval trawlers in background - Pennant Numbers 31, 32 and 35.
Image ID DWS_RIC_001
9. HMPMS 929 YARMOUTH BELLE. Built 1898 by Wm Denny at Dumbarton. 1915 converted to minesweeper. During 1916 and until late 1917 was stationed in Harwich. Well...
Image ID IA003580
10. Around 1947, the Ipswich Sea Scouts had been loaned by the Admiralty, an ex-wartime, Fairmile 'D' MTB, which was permanently moored fore, and aft, just off the...
Image ID IA003951
11. Seamen aboard a submarine, possibly a U-boat. The destroyer in the background is pennant number H65. Photograph ...
Image ID PBIB_NAV_421
12. Royal Navy seamen aboard a submarine. To the right are submarines U117, UB148 and AK1.
Photograph thought to be taken at Harwich between November 1918 and May...
Image ID PBIB_NAV_423
13. Harwich Reserve Fleet, 1951. HMS PINCHER M294 on the left and HMS ZENITH D95 on the right. Depot ship is not known.
Image ID TM51_0001
14. Harwich Reserve Fleet --- R.F.A. DODMAN POINT.
Image ID TM51_0002