1. Sergeant F.G. Unwin, No. 72274 134 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps. Bunny served in France 1916 - 1918 and was awarded the Military Medal for...
Image ID ALS_BUN_001
2. The Zeppelin at Little Wigborough - some of the Special Constables involved in arresting the German crew.
From left, Olive Dansie (daughter of Edgar Dansie...
Date: cOctober 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_001
3. Zeppelin L33 - which crashed at Little Wigborough 24 September 1916.
Date: After 24 September 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_005
4. Peter Moss Mussett, born on 6 December 1878 at West Mersea, his mother was Caroline Mussett (born 1856 - died 1937) no father's name for Peter's birth...
Image ID ANC_001
5. Peace celebration street party after WW2, in Station Road, Tollesbury.
The car on the left is AEV271.
Image ID ATR_TBY_013
6. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
7. MMS 1012 [on back of photograph]
FY PT 1012 leaves the river Colne after completion and commissioning in 1943. The harbour party and an officer are...
Date: c15 October 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_024
8. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. The boat belongs to Derek 'Dink' Ball. Ashley Upsher in orange...
Image ID CDC_TYP_001
9. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. A section of the wing resting on the mud. The conger eel was...
Image ID CDC_TYP_019
10. The first Tollesbury volunteers. Postcard.
This photograph, taken outside the King's Head at Tollesbury, shows the first men from that village to volunteer...
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_613
11. Bidding the Tollesbury Boys God Speed. Postcard.
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_617
12. Bonfire for Peace Celebrations, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_623
13. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_625
14. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_627
15. Maldon Road, Tiptree. Junction with Station Road. WW2 Anti-invasion barriers beside the road.
Image ID CG27_015
16. Fred Harry Chatters, M/2 055360 Pte., 22 Fld. Amb., M.T. A.S.C.
On return from WW1, Fred became a driver with the Primrose Bus Company and went on with...
Image ID CHS_003
17. Mrs Lawrence.
Pat and Fred.
May 1940 just before the evacuees were sent away from Mersea. [From back of photograph].
The girl on the right was...
Date: May 1940
Image ID CHS_017
18. The War Memorial at Layer Cross, Layer de la Haye. It is a large gathering with a band in the background, and is thought to be for the dedication of the War...
Image ID CLN_LDH_001
19. Layer de la Haye. V.E. Day. All available school children and mothers from the village.
Brian Chaplin says: I am child on the extreme of the photograph...
Date: 6 May 1945
Image ID CLN_SCH_003
20. Men with the Colours from West Mersea
Date: 31 October 1914
Image ID CTC_021
21. West Mersea men serving with the Colours
Date: 14 November 1914
Image ID CTC_041
22. More Men with the Colours
Date: 5 December 1914
Image ID CTC_051
23. Royal Artillery at Mersea.
Thought to be 373 Coastal Defence Battalion, who were at West Mersea from July 1940.
Front row L-R 6. is Sgt. Major Harry [...
Image ID DMC_001
24. Horace Mole. Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince Consorts Own ), Rfn 3581, enlisted 30 December 1909 and discharged 2 February...
Image ID DPR_003
25. Harold Leighton Procter.
The Jan 1918 Absent Voters list has Harold as a Midshipman on HMS ARROGANT.
The 1919 list has him as a Sub Lieutenant on...
Image ID DPR_005
26. Robert Appleton Account book. Summer Work 1916.
6 July 1916 Robert went to Whitehall and got a berth as mate of 'Tug Alice' for Malta. 7 July left for...
Date: 6 July 1916
Image ID DWS_APQ_017
27. One of the gondolas of Zeppelin L33 which came down on Little Wigborough September 1916. A portion of the superstructure has been cut away: originally it...
Date: c24 September 1916
Image ID EAM_1953_003_P285_001
28. East Mersea Post - Army Duty Roster. 16 December 1916 to 19 December 1916.
9.45pm Sentry reported fire about 400 yds. On investigation it proved to be a...
Date: 17 December 1916
Image ID EMB_005
29. Mr Henry Pullen, brother of Mrs Tom 'Boss' Mole. Killed in action 1914/18 War.
Henry William Pullen died 18 October 1918 when RFA INDUSTRY was...
Image ID FL05_028_003
30. One of many Second World War gun emplacements. This is the only survivor on the promenade and is now called "Two Sugars". To the left of this building linked by...
Image ID FL08_014_003