1. Sergeant F.G. Unwin, No. 72274 134 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps. Bunny served in France 1916 - 1918 and was awarded the Military Medal for...
Image ID ALS_BUN_001
2. The Zeppelin at Little Wigborough - some of the Special Constables involved in arresting the German crew.
From left, Olive Dansie (daughter of Edgar Dansie...
Date: cOctober 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_001
3. Zeppelin L33 - which crashed at Little Wigborough 24 September 1916.
Date: After 24 September 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_005
4. Peter Moss Mussett, born on 6 December 1878 at West Mersea, his mother was Caroline Mussett (born 1856 - died 1937) no father's name for Peter's birth...
Image ID ANC_001
5. Peace celebration street party after WW2, in Station Road, Tollesbury.
The car on the left is AEV271.
Image ID ATR_TBY_013
6. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
7. MMS 1012 [on back of photograph]
FY PT 1012 leaves the river Colne after completion and commissioning in 1943. The harbour party and an officer are...
Date: c15 October 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_024
8. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. The boat belongs to Derek 'Dink' Ball. Ashley Upsher in orange...
Image ID CDC_TYP_001
9. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. A section of the wing resting on the mud. The conger eel was...
Image ID CDC_TYP_019
10. The first Tollesbury volunteers. Postcard.
This photograph, taken outside the King's Head at Tollesbury, shows the first men from that village to volunteer...
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_613
11. Bidding the Tollesbury Boys God Speed. Postcard.
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_617
12. Tollesbury Detachment. W.J. Juniper back row, 5th from left. Postcard.
Used in More from Tollesbury Past plate 56, which says the army detachment is...
Image ID CG10_621
13. Bonfire for Peace Celebrations, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_623
14. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_625
15. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_627
16. Maldon Road, Tiptree. Junction with Station Road. WW2 Anti-invasion barriers beside the road.
Image ID CG27_015
17. Fred Harry Chatters, M/2 055360 Pte., 22 Fld. Amb., M.T. A.S.C.
On return from WW1, Fred became a driver with the Primrose Bus Company and went on with...
Image ID CHS_003
18. Mrs Lawrence.
Pat and Fred.
May 1940 just before the evacuees were sent away from Mersea. [From back of photograph].
The girl on the right was...
Date: May 1940
Image ID CHS_017
19. The War Memorial at Layer Cross, Layer de la Haye. It is a large gathering with a band in the background, and is thought to be for the dedication of the War...
Image ID CLN_LDH_001
20. Layer de la Haye. V.E. Day. All available school children and mothers from the village.
Brian Chaplin says: I am child on the extreme of the photograph...
Date: 6 May 1945
Image ID CLN_SCH_003
21. Men with the Colours from West Mersea
Date: 31 October 1914
Image ID CTC_021
22. West Mersea men serving with the Colours
Date: 14 November 1914
Image ID CTC_041
23. More Men with the Colours
Date: 5 December 1914
Image ID CTC_051
24. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
25. Royal Artillery at Mersea.
Thought to be 373 Coastal Defence Battalion, who were at West Mersea from July 1940.
Front row L-R 6. is Sgt. Major Harry [...
Image ID DMC_001
26. Horace Mole. Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince Consorts Own ), Rfn 3581, enlisted 30 December 1909 and discharged 2 February...
Image ID DPR_003
27. Harold Leighton Procter.
The Jan 1918 Absent Voters list has Harold as a Midshipman on HMS ARROGANT.
The 1919 list has him as a Sub Lieutenant on...
Image ID DPR_005
28. Robert Appleton Account book. Summer Work 1916.
6 July 1916 Robert went to Whitehall and got a berth as mate of 'Tug Alice' for Malta. 7 July left for...
Date: 6 July 1916
Image ID DWS_APQ_017
29. One of the gondolas of Zeppelin L33 which came down on Little Wigborough September 1916. A portion of the superstructure has been cut away: originally it...
Date: c24 September 1916
Image ID EAM_1953_003_P285_001
30. East Mersea Post - Army Duty Roster. 16 December 1916 to 19 December 1916.
9.45pm Sentry reported fire about 400 yds. On investigation it proved to be a...
Date: 17 December 1916
Image ID EMB_005