1. Long guns and tall tales. L-R Bob South, who killed nine Brent geese with one shot from a single 12-bore; 'Admiral' Bill Wyatt, aged eighty-one and still...
Image ID BOX004_023_001
2. A party outside the Victory Inn, perhaps in Mersea to enjoy the Oyster Teas advertised by the Victory. The writing on the front of the Inn says Colchester...
Date: Before July 1907
Image ID CBR_001
3. Sailing and Social Club. Bert Carter and Dinah Hone.
Image ID CRS_SAS_001
4. Sailing and Social Club. Winifred Hone and Betty (Mary Kathleen) Hone.
Image ID CRS_SAS_003
5. Sailing and Social Club - restaurant. The door leads to the kitchen.
Image ID CRS_SAS_007
6. The Fox. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. East Road, West Mersea. Postcard mailed June 1915.
Date: Before June 1915
Image ID CW6_041
7. Photo taken in back room of British Legion Club about 1952.
Reg Jay, Maurice Jay, Sid Milgate, Jimmy Simmonds.
Jimmy Simmonds wearing American Air...
Image ID FL03_027_002
8. Outside the White Hart after 12" of snow in 1958.
Ron Pamment, George Milgate, Cyril 'Lizzie' Green.
From Album 5.
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID FL05_042_002
9. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
L-R Maurice Jay, Derek Whitelock, John Dixon, 'Hoilly Green, Maurice...
Image ID FL08_066_001
10. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
Maurice Fletcher, Claude Green. Claude worked part time at Fountain...
Image ID FL08_066_003
11. Victory Hotel on Coast Road, with its dance hall. The dance hall was burnt down about 1942. Postcard, mailed 25 May 1932.
Date: Before May 1932
Image ID IA004851
12. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. 1980s?
Image ID LH4_011
13. Fountain Hotel, Queens Corner, now the site of Fountain Court.
It was built in 1912, replacing the earlier Fountain further along East Road near the Fox....
Image ID LH4_029
14. Dog and Pheasant Pub, East Mersea. Trumans.
Image ID LH52_047
15. Victory Hotel with its dance hall. The dance hall was burnt down c1942. From Mersea Island Directory c1935.
Image ID MD05_010
16. West Mersea Official Guide. Page 34. White Hart Hotel. Proprietor P.C. Fahie. Telephone West Mersea 66.
Image ID MD05_047
17. Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the...
Image ID MF10_001
18. From Mersea Island Golf Club Official Handbook Page 4. The Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. Proprietor H.T. Hone.
Image ID MIGC_007
19. Bill Wyatt and Bert Cudmore (Jack Cudmore's father?) in the Sailing and Social Club
Image ID MIL_OPA_043
20. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society. 1980 Page 10.
The Pullens of Peldon Rose, by Sybil Brand.
In the early days of the Radio...
Image ID MIS_1980_110
21. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society. 1980 Page 11.
The Pullens of Peldon Rose, by Sybil Brand contd.
In a Deed dated October 1898,...
Image ID MIS_1980_111
22. Dog and Pheasant Public House, East Mersea.
Date: 15 August 2007
Image ID MLD_PUB_001
23. White Hart Bar
Date: 30 May 2010
Image ID MLD_WHT_001
24. Dog & Pheasant, East Mersea, with donor's great uncle outside, centre. Licensee is J.C. Hoy.
Image ID MMC_2010_10_008_F
25. The Old City with the Victory centre left and Cornerways on the right at the bottom of the Lane. Cornerways was later reduced in height. Carriage at the bottom...
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_013
26. The new Victory Hotel - a Cleghorn postcard. Landlord Bill Trim to the right of the front door ?
Image ID MMC_P755_033
27. "Our Wants Supplied". Great Eastern Railway bus F1610 outside the White Hart, West Mersea. Jack Saye says that the conductor standing in front of the bus is...
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_078
28. The White Hart, church railings on the left. Church Road beyond.
Image ID MMC_P755_079
29. The White Hart Hotel did not always look half timbered. It is difficult to date this photograph - Berry's bus LC7804 was in service with them 1906 to July 1922....
Date: Before July 1922
Image ID MMC_P755_084
30. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea - a Cleghorn postcard.
Licensee C. Wopling. C. & W.R. Seabrooke's Fine Pale and Mild Ales and Porter.
Cart on the left...
Image ID MMC_P755_107