1. A party outside the Victory Inn, perhaps in Mersea to enjoy the Oyster Teas advertised by the Victory. The writing on the front of the Inn says Colchester...
Date: Before July 1907
Image ID CBR_001
2. The 'new' Victory, Coast Road, West Mersea. The house boats on the right are the ERICINA and the EVANDRA. Another copy of this card was mailed 6 July 1916.
Date: Before July 1916
Image ID SFR_220
3. The Fox. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. East Road, West Mersea. Postcard mailed June 1915.
Date: Before June 1915
Image ID CW6_041
4. Photo taken in back room of British Legion Club about 1952.
Reg Jay, Maurice Jay, Sid Milgate, Jimmy Simmonds.
Jimmy Simmonds wearing American Air...
Image ID FL03_027_002
5. Outside the White Hart after 12" of snow in 1958.
Ron Pamment, George Milgate, Cyril 'Lizzie' Green.
From Album 5.
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID FL05_042_002
6. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
L-R Maurice Jay, Derek Whitelock, John Dixon, 'Hoilly Green, Maurice...
Image ID FL08_066_001
7. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
Maurice Fletcher, Claude Green. Claude worked part time at Fountain...
Image ID FL08_066_003
8. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. 1980s?
Image ID LH4_011
9. Fountain Hotel, Queens Corner, now the site of Fountain Court.
It was built in 1912, replacing the earlier Fountain further along East Road near the Fox....
Image ID LH4_029
10. Victory Hotel with its dance hall. The dance hall was burnt down c1942. From Mersea Island Directory c1935.
Image ID MD05_010
11. West Mersea Official Guide. Page 34. White Hart Hotel. Proprietor P.C. Fahie. Telephone West Mersea 66.
Image ID MD05_047
12. Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the...
Image ID MF10_001
13. From Mersea Island Golf Club Official Handbook Page 4. The Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. Proprietor H.T. Hone.
Image ID MIGC_007
14. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society. 1980 Page 10.
The Pullens of Peldon Rose, by Sybil Brand.
In the early days of the Radio...
Image ID MIS_1980_110
15. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society. 1980 Page 11.
The Pullens of Peldon Rose, by Sybil Brand contd.
In a Deed dated October 1898,...
Image ID MIS_1980_111
16. Dog and Pheasant Public House, East Mersea.
Date: 15 August 2007
Image ID MLD_PUB_001
17. White Hart Bar
Date: 30 May 2010
Image ID MLD_WHT_001
18. Dog & Pheasant, East Mersea, with donor's great uncle outside, centre. Licensee is J.C. Hoy.
Image ID MMC_2010_10_008_F
19. The Old City with the Victory centre left and Cornerways on the right at the bottom of the Lane. Cornerways was later reduced in height. Carriage at the bottom...
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_013
20. The new Victory Hotel - a Cleghorn postcard. Landlord Bill Trim to the right of the front door ?
Image ID MMC_P755_033
21. "Our Wants Supplied". Great Eastern Railway bus F1610 outside the White Hart, West Mersea. Jack Saye says that the conductor standing in front of the bus is...
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_078
22. The White Hart, church railings on the left. Church Road beyond.
Image ID MMC_P755_079
23. The White Hart Hotel did not always look half timbered. It is difficult to date this photograph - Berry's bus LC7804 was in service with them 1906 to July 1922....
Date: Before July 1922
Image ID MMC_P755_084
24. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea - a Cleghorn postcard.
Licensee C. Wopling. C. & W.R. Seabrooke's Fine Pale and Mild Ales and Porter.
Cart on the left...
Image ID MMC_P755_107
25. The old Fountain, near the Fox on East Road. It is now Alpine Cottages. Licensee Mary Ann Smith.
Photo by Cleghorn.
Image ID MMC_P755_120
26. East Road - the Fox in the distance and the old Fountain on the right, now Alpine Cottages. The Fountain licensee is Mary Anne Smith. Cleghorn postcard. Another...
Date: Before September 1905
Image ID MMC_P755_144
27. The New Fountain on the left with Fountain Cottage and Upland House beyond. East Road looking towards Queens Corner.
The Fountain is mentioned as 'new' in...
Date: Before August 1913
Image ID MMC_P755_151
28. A Berry bus LC7804 passing the Fountain, Queens Corner. Daniell & Sons, Fine Ales and Stout. Licensee Edith Smith. M.O. Smith has the shop on the...
Date: Before July 1922
Image ID MMC_P755_152
29. View from Church Tower, West Mersea to White Hart and looking north up High Street. The open space just right of centre became the Primrose and later Eastern...
Date: Before 1911
Image ID PG2_127
30. East Mersea Dog and Pheasant, before the new part was added to the front in the 1920s. The sign on the front says C. & W. R. Seabrook's Fine Pale & Mild Ales &...
Date: Before 1915
Image ID PG2_217