1. Hardy's Green Rovers football team.
"Keith Taylor is holding the ball in this photo. He owned the Tollesbury dairy and delivered milk to the village...
Image ID ATR_HDY_001
2. George and William Sheldrick are in this photo but not sure who's who. The name on left jumper is TITANIA RAYC. Postmark is Wivenhoe, April 12, 1907
Date: Before April 1907
Image ID ATR_SLD_001
3. Tollesbury fisherman Harry Myall at the tiller of family smack S.W.H., named for Sidney, William and Harry Myall - taken early 1900s.
Used in Smacks and...
Image ID ATR_SWH_003
4. Tollesbury fisherman Harry Myall on the left - Person at the tiller not known. Smack S.W.H. 492CK
Image ID ATR_SWH_005
5. Tollesbury Men.
L-R 1. Stan Lewis, 2. Bill Howe, 3. C. Lewis, 4. Fred Binks, 5. Bobby Leavett (Bruin's father), 6. L. Trim (Alison's grandfather).
Image ID ATR_TRM_121
6. Horseman's Sunday at Patricia Catchpole stables on East Road. Rev. East officiated.
Image ID AWA_001
7. At Patricia Catchpole's Stables in East Road, c1958
Back Suzanne Taylor, Eval Tovim, Mike Spurgeon
Middle Catchy, Sarah Vince now Cock, Wendy Westcott...
Image ID AWA_003
8. On the field behind Empress Avenue.
L-R Gordon Allen's father, Rosemary Allen with Gordon behind. Nell the dog. Norma Appleby, Anne Knight, Charlie...
Image ID AWA_005
9. Patricia Catchpole
Image ID AWA_027
10. Netball or Rounders team at West Mersea School 1958 - 1959.
Back row: Wendy Stubbings, Marlene Fletcher, Shirley Ward (Teacher). Christine Russell,...
Image ID AWA_063
11. Mersea. A Douglas Went photograph, used in The Sailor's Coast page 30. The boat is CERISE. The lady is Barbara Went.
Image ID BF03_001_093_001
12. Unidentified gentleman of the road. Probably Wivenhoe.
Image ID BF69_009_008
13. First Ladies Race at Brightlingsea.
Top Miss K. Poole delighted at winning a Second Prize in JUMBO II, Jack Maltby's new B.O.D.C.
Bottom - A study of the...
Image ID BOX058_003_001
14. Owner and some of the crew of the America's Cup challenger SHAMROCK IV at Gosport in 1914. Sir Thomas Lipton in the centre.
Used in The Big Class Racing...
Image ID BOXB2_400_060
15. Crew of the SHAMROCK V 1930. Sir T. Lipton's challenger for the America's Cup.
Back row 1. Charlie Dan of Wivenhoe, cook, 2. Tom Cudmore of Tollesbury,...
Image ID BOXB2_400_083
16. Captains Lemon and William Cranfield at the tiller of the Valkyrie II, America's Cup challenger 1893.
Used in Gaff Rig page 152.
Used in The Big Class...
Image ID BOXB3_038_001_001
17. Tollesbury and Mersea Oyster Company men outside the Packing Shed circa 1908. Zeb Milgate (John Milgate's grandfather and Heather Haward's great grandfather) in...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_090_001_001
18. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
19. The men in uniforms are Royal Navy Reserve officers, probably on
board an armed yacht. The crews of requisitioned vessels often stayed with
their ships; in...
Image ID BOXB4_003_008
20. The men in uniforms are Royal Navy Reserve officers, probably on board an armed yacht. The crews of requisitioned vessels often stayed with their ships; in many...
Image ID BOXB4_003_009
21. The well known author & wildfowler J. Wentworth Day with a local West Mersea wildfowler and all their weapons and tools. Similar one published. [DW]
Image ID BOXB5_015_027
22. Captain Hayzell Polley of Brightlingsea, one time master of the 224 ton schooner yacht HEARTSEASE, demonstrates a sextant to David Leather.
From: Photographs --- various
Image ID BOXB9_005_005
23. Shipyard management and workers
Image ID BOXL_026_004_010
24. William Wyatt, of West Mersea, sets up the gaff mainsail, preferred to a lug by Mersea men even for their little winkle brigs. [Last Stronghold of Sail page...
Image ID BOXP_100_010
25. George Peggs of Brightlingsea in a typical gun punt.
Used in The Northseamen page 72.
Image ID BOXP_135_072
26. Mr Charles Scott being carried by two bathers after landing at the Golf Course. Barbara Mears is on the left with Bob Munro next to her. Mrs Scott is just right...
Date: 13 July 1932
Image ID BS01_033
27. Captain Townshend, Jim Chaney, John Bowles, Percy Gurton, Wilkinson, ?. On board ALISON, the last yacht to be based in Tollesbury and crewed by Tollesbury...
Image ID CG6_002
28. Crew of ENDEAVOUR 1937
Image ID CG6_011
29. Crew of ENDEAVOUR
Image ID CG6_013
30. After guard of CREOLE 54 tons.
1890-1913 569 starts, 339 prizes, 166 firsts, 132 seconds, 38 thirds, 3 fourths.
L-R Captain Charles Leavett, Sam Heard...
Image ID CG6_035