1. Hardy's Green Rovers football team.
"Keith Taylor is holding the ball in this photo. He owned the Tollesbury dairy and delivered milk to the village...
Image ID ATR_HDY_001
2. George and William Sheldrick are in this photo but not sure who's who. The name on left jumper is TITANIA RAYC. Postmark is Wivenhoe, April 12, 1907
Date: Before April 1907
Image ID ATR_SLD_001
3. Tollesbury fisherman Harry Myall at the tiller of family smack S.W.H., named for Sidney, William and Harry Myall - taken early 1900s.
Used in Smacks and...
Image ID ATR_SWH_003
4. Tollesbury fisherman Harry Myall on the left - Person at the tiller not known. Smack S.W.H. 492CK
Image ID ATR_SWH_005
5. Tollesbury Men.
L-R 1. Stan Lewis, 2. Bill Howe, 3. C. Lewis, 4. Fred Binks, 5. Bobby Leavett (Bruin's father), 6. L. Trim (Alison's grandfather).
Image ID ATR_TRM_121
6. Horseman's Sunday at Patricia Catchpole stables on East Road. Rev. East officiated.
Image ID AWA_001
7. At Patricia Catchpole's Stables in East Road, c1958
Back Suzanne Taylor, Eval Tovim, Mike Spurgeon
Middle Catchy, Sarah Vince now Cock, Wendy Westcott...
Image ID AWA_003
8. On the field behind Empress Avenue.
L-R Gordon Allen's father, Rosemary Allen with Gordon behind. Nell the dog. Norma Appleby, Anne Knight, Charlie...
Image ID AWA_005
9. Patricia Catchpole
Image ID AWA_027
10. Netball or Rounders team 1958 - 1959.
Back row: Wendy Stubbings, Marlene Fletcher, Shirley Ward (Teacher). Christine Russell, Georgie Neal.
Image ID AWA_063
11. Mersea. A Douglas Went photograph, used in The Sailor's Coast page 30. The boat is CERISE. The lady is Barbara Went.
Image ID BF03_001_093_001
12. Owner and some of the crew of the America's Cup challenger SHAMROCK IV at Gosport in 1914. Sir Thomas Lipton in the centre.
Used in The Big Class Racing...
Image ID BOXB2_400_060
13. Crew of the SHAMROCK V 1930. Sir T. Lipton's challenger for the America's Cup.
Back row 1. Charlie Dan of Wivenhoe, cook, 2. Tom Cudmore of Tollesbury,...
Image ID BOXB2_400_083
14. Captains Lemon and William Cranfield at the tiller of the Valkyrie II, America's Cup challenger 1893.
Used in Gaff Rig page 152.
Used in The Big Class...
Image ID BOXB3_038_001_001
15. Tollesbury and Mersea Oyster Company men outside the Packing Shed circa 1908. Zeb Milgate (John Milgate's grandfather and Heather Haward's great grandfather) in...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_090_001_001
16. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
17. The well known author & wildfowler J. Wentworth Day with a local West Mersea wildfowler and all their weapons and tools. Similar one published. [DW]
Image ID BOXB5_015_027
18. William Wyatt, of West Mersea, sets up the gaff mainsail, preferred to a lug by Mersea men even for their little winkle brigs. [Last Stronghold of Sail page...
Image ID BOXP_100_010
19. George Peggs of Brightlingsea in a typical gun punt.
Used in The Northseamen page 72.
Image ID BOXP_135_072
20. Mr Charles Scott being carried by two bathers after landing at the Golf Course. Barbara Mears is on the left with Bob Munro next to her. Mrs Scott is just right...
Date: 13 July 1932
Image ID BS01_033
21. Captain Townshend, Jim Chaney, John Bowles, Percy Gurton, Wilkinson, ?. On board ALISON, the last yacht to be based in Tollesbury and crewed by Tollesbury...
Image ID CG6_002
22. Crew of ENDEAVOUR 1937
Image ID CG6_011
23. Crew of ENDEAVOUR
Image ID CG6_013
24. After guard of CREOLE 54 tons.
1890-1913 569 starts, 339 prizes, 166 firsts, 132 seconds, 38 thirds, 3 fourths.
L-R Captain Charles Leavett, Sam Heard...
Image ID CG6_035
25. S.Y. BULIMBA - name on back of card and also on jerseys of the crew.
BULIMBA ex MELISANDE, ex MONARCH, built Barrow 1883. Official No. 84268 [LRY 1935]
Image ID CG6_037
26. BULIMBA on jerseys of crew, but back of card is marked CREOLE.
Image ID CG6_041
27. Crew - GULZAR on jerseys. George Sams is written on back of photograph.
GULZAR built Southampton 1934, Official No. 163640. 2 oil engines. [LRY 1935]
Image ID CG6_045
28. M.Y. GULZAR
Image ID CG6_051
Image ID CG6_055
30. S.S. LOWTHER CASTLE. R Besket W.T.O., R.A. Young Engineer, A. Mackensie, 2 Officer, A. Jones Chief Engineer, R. Martin Engineer, F.G.R. Matthews J. Officer.
Image ID CG6_057