1. The Strood connects Mersea Island to the mainland. Postcard by F.W. Pawsey, Ipswich.
Image ID TMPC0703
2. Crossing the Strood in thick snow, probably 1958. Anne is fairly sure it's Underwood's taxi, driven by Jack Saye. "The snow looks about a foot deep," she said,...
Image ID AWA_051
3. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Believed to have been taken by skipper George Blake or his camera.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and...
Image ID HBC_018_001
4. Barge P.A.M. discharging stone at Mersea Strood, with a cheerful gang of Ukrainians. From "Tide Time" by A.S. Bennett, published 1949. Chapter X describes the...
Image ID IA002160
5. High tide at the Strood. Barnaby and Amy Smith
Image ID DAB_FRM_005
6. High tide at the Strood. Barnaby and Amy Smith. Note the jogger in the background.
Image ID DAB_FRM_041
7. Eastern National bus going through the water at the Strood, in the days when bus services were not curtailed by the tide. Ford Anglia Estate behind it ?
Image ID DBO_013
8. Mersea Round the Island Race 2014. David Green's boat SUGARSCOOP at the Strood - it was the peak a very high tide and there would have been enough water to sail...
Image ID GRD_RND14_012
9. Barge loading or unloading with lorries at Mersea Strood.
Image ID HBC_002_002
10. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Probably about 1946.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and was owned by Wakeley Bros.
Image ID HBC_018_002
11. Winning Through! The Strood, a road leaving over a creek of the River Blackwater from the mainland to Mersea Island is almost impassable at high tide. An...
Image ID IA004481
12. 1924 Delage car crossing the Strood. Pastel by Richard Wade to recreate a newspaper photograph from 1930 of the car crossing the Strood. This view looks back...
Image ID IA004484
13. Pyefleet House at the Peldon end of the Strood, showing damage from the 1884 earthquake. The house should have 3 chimneys - only one remains and this has...
Date: cMay 1884
Image ID IA004741
14. High tide at the Strood. Charabanc PU4434 on the left.
Image ID LUC_AB1_057
15. Image from Homeland Handy Guides - Mersea Island Page 11. Horse and cart crossing the Strood. The photograph also appears in the Second Edition of the guide...
Image ID MD02_022
16. Crossing the Strood, High Tide, West Mersea.
Postcard mailed 31 December 1938 to Mrs Mears, Ivy House, East Mersea, from Hilda K. Page,...
Image ID MM2013_MEA_033
17. Alf Stacey and Primrose Bus crossing the Strood. Karrier, probably LT8426.
Photo used on cover of Just the Ticket by David Thornton, which says it is...
Image ID MMC_P21_A
18. Great Eastern bus at the Strood, Mersea Island. BJ329.
Great Eastern was the second bus company to run service from North Station to White Hart.
Date: Before 11 March 1907
Image ID MMC_P719B
19. The Strood, West Mersea. Motorcycle & sidecar on the right, registration F5095. The photographer's transport ?
View 78494 from multiview postcard 78450.
Image ID MMC_P755_007_001
20. The Strood, West Mersea
Image ID MMC_P755_108
21. The Strood, West Mersea. There are telegraph poles but not yet any electicity poles. Hammond photograph.
Image ID MMC_P755_126
22. A windy day by Bonner's Barn - the view through Pat's windscreen window. The bus in the ditch was bringing children from TLA back to Mersea. The lorry is...
Date: 25 January 1990
Image ID PAT_004_001
23. May 2015 Des Kaliszewski sailed his barge CYGNET up Pyefleet to the Strood. It is many years since barges regularly came up to the Strood to unload at the wharf...
Date: 22 May 2015
Image ID PP4_CYG_828
24. Eastern National Bristol double decker bus ONO80 crossing the Strood onto Mersea Island.
The photograph is part of Ron's extensive collection on...
Date: March 1963
Image ID RFR_001
25. The sailing barge P.A.M. unloading Kentish ragstone at Mersea Strood 1946/7. Two locals and two Ukrainians. Photo by Captain George Blake, master of...
Image ID RG03_371
26. Barge unloading ragstone at the Strood, Mersea Island, August 1937. Johnny Dixon ?
Much Kentish ragstone was brought by barge to Essex, for repairing sea...
Date: August 1937
Image ID RG03_463
27. Mersea Strood. Barge NELLIE PARKER in centre. Berrys' Gilford Model 1680T 31 seat Coach VX7875, purchased by Eastern National in 1937 Fleet No 3701.
Image ID RG03_471
28. Barge VERONICA at the Strood, believed to be loaded with tarmacadam 1930s. A well known racing barge. Photograph from Barry Pearce of Maldon.
Image ID RG23_211
29. View southwest across the western side of Mersea Island to the Blackwater. The Strood is in the centre.
Part of a collection of aerial views of Mersea...
Date: 27 April 2014
Image ID SBB_3162
30. View south across Mersea Island to the River Blackwater. Strood on the left.
Part of a collection of aerial views of Mersea taken by Stacey Belbin. If you...
Date: 27 April 2014
Image ID SBB_3173