1. The Strood connects Mersea Island to the mainland. Postcard by F.W. Pawsey, Ipswich.
Image ID TMPC0703
2. Crossing the Strood in thick snow, probably 1958. Anne is fairly sure it's Underwood's taxi, driven by Jack Saye. "The snow looks about a foot deep," she said,...
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID AWA_051
3. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Believed to have been taken by skipper George Blake or his camera.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and...
Image ID HBC_018_001
4. Barge P.A.M. discharging stone at Mersea Strood, with a cheerful gang of Ukrainians. From "Tide Time" by A.S. Bennett, published 1949. Chapter X describes the...
Image ID IA002160
5. High tide at the Strood. Barnaby and Amy Smith
Image ID DAB_FRM_005
6. High tide at the Strood. Barnaby and Amy Smith. Note the jogger in the background.
Image ID DAB_FRM_041
7. Strood at high tide, during widening. 3 April 1931 is written on back of photograph.
Date: 3 April 1931
Image ID DBO_007
8. Eastern National bus going through the water at the Strood, in the days when bus services were not curtailed by the tide. Ford Anglia Estate behind it ?
Image ID DBO_013
9. Mersea Round the Island Race 2014. David Green's boat SUGARSCOOP at the Strood - it was the peak a very high tide and there would have been enough water to sail...
Image ID GRD_RND14_012
10. Barge loading or unloading with lorries at Mersea Strood.
Image ID HBC_002_002
11. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Probably about 1946.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and was owned by Wakeley Bros.
Image ID HBC_018_002
12. Winning Through! The Strood, a road leaving over a creek of the River Blackwater from the mainland to Mersea Island is almost impassable at high tide. An...
Image ID IA004481
13. 1924 Delage car crossing the Strood. Pastel by Richard Wade to recreate a newspaper photograph from 1930 of the car crossing the Strood. This view looks back...
Image ID IA004484
14. Pyefleet House at the Peldon end of the Strood, showing damage from the 1884 earthquake. The house should have 3 chimneys - only one remains and this has...
Date: cMay 1884
Image ID IA004741
15. 1987 Hurricane. Bonners Barn.
Date: 16 October 1987
Image ID LH3_010
16. High tide at the Strood. Charabanc PU4434 on the left.
Date: Before 1931
Image ID LUC_AB1_057
17. Homeland Handy Guides - Mersea Island. Page 11. The Strood.
Image ID MD02_021
18. Image from Homeland Handy Guides - Mersea Island Page 11. Horse and cart crossing the Strood. The photograph also appears in the Second Edition of the guide...
Image ID MD02_022
19. Crossing the Strood, High Tide, West Mersea.
Postcard mailed 31 December 1938 to Mrs Mears, Ivy House, East Mersea, from Hilda K. Page,...
Image ID MM2013_MEA_033
20. The Strood looking towards Colchester - sailing barge at the dock. Another copy of this postcard is postmarked 1913.
Date: Before 1913
Image ID MMC_P1002_056
21. Strood looking east from barge dock. Pill box on sea wall. Reliant car MWC125.
Date: Before 1984
Image ID MMC_P1005_005
22. Alf Stacey and Primrose Bus crossing the Strood. Karrier, probably LT8426.
Photo used on cover of Just the Ticket by David Thornton, which says it is...
Image ID MMC_P21_A
23. Charabanc ME124 at the Strood, West Mersea.
Date: Before 1931
Image ID MMC_P405_007
24. Great Eastern bus at the Strood, Mersea Island. BJ329.
Great Eastern was the second bus company to run service from North Station to White Hart.
Date: Before 11 March 1907
Image ID MMC_P719B
25. The Strood, West Mersea. Motorcycle & sidecar on the right, registration F5095. The photographer's transport ?
View 78494 from multiview postcard...
Image ID MMC_P755_007_001
26. The Strood, West Mersea
Image ID MMC_P755_108
27. The Strood, West Mersea. There are telegraph poles but not yet any electicity poles. Hammond photograph.
Image ID MMC_P755_126
28. A windy day by Bonner's Barn - the view through Pat's windscreen window. The bus in the ditch was bringing children from TLA back to Mersea. The lorry is...
Date: 25 January 1990
Image ID PAT_004_001
29. May 2015 Des Kaliszewski sailed his barge CYGNET up Pyefleet to the Strood. It is many years since barges regularly came up to the Strood to unload at the wharf...
Date: 22 May 2015
Image ID PP4_CYG_828
30. Eastern National Bristol double decker bus ONO80 crossing the Strood onto Mersea Island.
The photograph is part of Ron's extensive collection on...
Date: March 1963
Image ID RFR_001