1. The Strood connects Mersea Island to the mainland. Postcard by F.W. Pawsey, Ipswich.
Image ID TMPC0703
2. Crossing the Strood in thick snow, probably 1958. Anne is fairly sure it's Underwood's taxi, driven by Jack Saye. "The snow looks about a foot deep," she said,...
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID AWA_051
3. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Believed to have been taken by skipper George Blake or his camera.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and...
Image ID HBC_018_001
4. Barge P.A.M. discharging stone at Mersea Strood, with a cheerful gang of Ukrainians. From "Tide Time" by A.S. Bennett, published 1949. Chapter X describes the...
Image ID IA002160
5. High tide at the Strood. Barnaby and Amy Smith
Image ID DAB_FRM_005
6. High tide at the Strood. Barnaby and Amy Smith. Note the jogger in the background.
Image ID DAB_FRM_041
7. Strood at high tide, during widening. 3 April 1931 is written on back of photograph.
Date: 3 April 1931
Image ID DBO_007
8. Eastern National bus going through the water at the Strood, in the days when bus services were not curtailed by the tide. Ford Anglia Estate behind it ?
Image ID DBO_013
9. The Strood. Barge VICTA, looking somewhat derelict.
VICTA built 1874, Official No. 67085, formerly & CO.
Image ID DBO_017
10. Young Farmers - playing on the mud at the Strood. Old barge dock lower centre.
Image ID DC3_021
11. Young Farmers - playing on the mud at the Strood.
Image ID DC3_022
12. Mersea Round the Island Race 2014. David Green's boat SUGARSCOOP at the Strood - it was the peak a very high tide and there would have been enough water to sail...
Image ID GRD_RND14_012
13. Barge loading or unloading with lorries at Mersea Strood.
Image ID HBC_002_002
14. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Probably about 1946.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and was owned by Wakeley Bros.
Image ID HBC_018_002
15. Winning Through! The Strood, a road leaving over a creek of the River Blackwater from the mainland to Mersea Island is almost impassable at high tide. An...
Image ID IA004481
16. 1924 Delage car crossing the Strood. Pastel by Richard Wade to recreate a newspaper photograph from 1930 of the car crossing the Strood. This view looks back...
Image ID IA004484
17. Pyefleet House at the Peldon end of the Strood, showing damage from the 1884 earthquake. The house should have 3 chimneys - only one remains and this has...
Date: cMay 1884
Image ID IA004741
18. TOPSY 1953. At the Strood - barge VICTA in background.
From John Green photo album. Photograph by John Hadfield.
VICTA built 1874, Official No. 67085,...
Image ID JG01_009
19. Waiting for the tide at the Strood. Clifford White's lorries on the right.
Ron Green writes about Clifford White's lorries:
I guess I'm one of...
Image ID LH15_124
20. 1987 Hurricane. Bonners Barn.
Date: 16 October 1987
Image ID LH3_010
21. Electricity coming on to the Island at East and West turn. Electricity arrived about 1930, but these poles are probably from much later when the original poles...
Image ID LH52_041
22. East and West turn at the island end of the Strood. The broken sign in the foreground seems out of place - it says Powerboats, keep away from bathing area.
Image ID LH52_045
23. High tide at the Strood before it was widened in 1931. Charabanc PU4434 on the left. YK9043 on the right.
Date: Before 1931
Image ID LUC_AB1_057
24. Homeland Handy Guides - Mersea Island. Page 11. The Strood.
Image ID MD02_021
25. Image from Homeland Handy Guides - Mersea Island Page 11. Horse and cart crossing the Strood. The photograph also appears in the Second Edition of the guide...
Image ID MD02_022
26. Crossing the Strood, High Tide, West Mersea.
Postcard mailed 31 December 1938 to Mrs Mears, Ivy House, East Mersea, from Hilda K. Page,...
Image ID MM2013_MEA_033
27. The Strood looking towards Colchester - sailing barge at the dock. Another copy of this postcard is postmarked 1913.
Date: Before 1913
Image ID MMC_P1002_056
28. Strood looking east from barge dock. Pill box on sea wall. Reliant car MWC125.
Date: Before 1984
Image ID MMC_P1005_005
29. Alf Stacey and Primrose Bus crossing the Strood. Karrier, probably LT8426.
Photo used on cover of Just the Ticket by David Thornton, which says it is...
Image ID MMC_P21_A
30. Round Island boat race.
Image ID MMC_P369_002