Built as cargo ship DANEFOLK by A/S Rodby Havns Jernskibs at Rodby Havn. Four-masted twin screw steel schooner, owned by Suenson & Jespersen, Copenhagen.
c1924 Sold to M A Robinson, registered in London.
1939 taken to Harwich, renamed BADGER, part of shore-base HMS BADGER, and used to accommodate naval personnel and stores. She remained in Harwich for the duration of the War.
Dec 1946 towed from Harwich to the Blackwater. Oyster Company correspondence [ H08_002 ] gives some background. She was serviced by the Oyster Company who provided three watchmen for 24 hour coverage. A boat had to be provided to get them ashore. Still owned by the Admiralty under Director of Small Craft Disposals, who had it placed with H.E. Moss as agents.
24 Oct 1947 'Delivered' by Admiralty to Captain Petersen for new owners.
1946-c1949 moored off Bradwell, as mentioned in The Salty Shore and in John Leather notes.
7 April 1947 Jeff Curtiss records her off Bradwell, in grey, sails removed, no bowsprit.
1948 Hotel Ship at Kobenhavn. D/S Hetland A/S [ George Swieszkowski ]
Renamed AFRICAN QUEEN-1949, ARGENTARIO-1956, PALOMA-1960.
1 Jul 1963 on fire 21.45N/37.20E and broken up Port Sudan Aug 1963
From Oyster Company ledger:
- 24 January 1947 BADGER Compensation 7 wks 1 day, Director of S.G. Disposals.
- 24 May 1948 Compensation 2 wks 2 days. H.E. Moss & Co. (agents).
See WESTWARD for more information and pictures
Above: Thought to be the schooner WESTWARD / BADGER when she was in the River Blackwater. She was at Harwich as HMS BADGER during WW2 and was moored off Bradwell 1946-c1949
Official No. 148556, ex DANEFOLK, built 1920, 2,001 tons gross. Date: c1948. Source: Mersea Museum / Peter Bibby Collection
Above: BADGER laying off Tollesbury Pier. Formerly the yacht WESTWARD. Date: 1945. Source: Mersea Museum / Kevin Bruce