Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships

Arrived:22 December 1932
Departed:22 April 1933
Career:Built as tanker, 1957 converted to bulk carrier. Renamed MILFORD-1948, JEAN MARIE-1954, MANO-1956, BAHAMA COUNT-1959, RONGA-1962, BILLY-1964. Wrecked Lantao Island, Hong Kong 17 August 1971 & broken up Kaohsiung 8 November 1971 November 1971.

Dates from George Swieszkowski.
In Oyster Company ledger.

Hull Daily Mail of 23 Dec 1932 reported ATHELDUCHESS passed Southend (down) 21-12-32 from Coryton
Chelmsford Chronicle of 24 Feb 1933 reported master of ATHELDUCHESS then in River Blackwater fined for allowing oil to escape into River Thames (due faulty valve)

Tonnage:8,940 gross
Owner:United Molasses Company
Official No:161088

Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2023
Hosted by