31. Mersea Cycle Stores. A.H. Cornelius. Petrol 1s 4d or 1s 6d a gallon. Kingsland Road, West Mersea.
Decorated for the 1953 Coronation ?
The pump in the ...
Image ID CORJ_019
32. A.H. Cornelius. Kingsland Road, West Mersea.
Image ID CORJ_021
33. Underwoods Corner - from Courier No. 55.
1 A field which became the site of the Queen Anne Road & Queen Anne Drive developments.
2 The old ...
Image ID COR_055_001
34. Howards Stores, run by Repton Dixon, decorated for the 1953 Coronation. On the north side of Church Road - the shop has changed, but [in 2012] the wisteria by ...
Date: cJune 1953
Image ID CW2_P21_005
35. Pat Catchpole, Hall Barn Riding Stables.
Image ID CW2_STA_005
36. Wisteria by Repton Dixon's Stores in Church Road.
Percy Bacon in white coat in the window behind the orange display. The lady sitting on the wall is ...
Date: cJune 1967
Image ID CW3_101
37. Howards Stores, Church Street, West Mersea.
Monty my miniature Poodle bought for me when Dad had died, from Denny Cousins and his wife Molly who had bred a ...
Image ID CW3_103
38. Repton Dixon's Stores in Church Road, West Mersea. All the shop staff.
1. Bessie Dixon (with her tongue out), 2. Pat Franklin, 3. Susan Hales, 4. Carol ...
Image ID CW3_105_001
39. Outside the off license, Howards Stores, Church Road.
Carol Dixon, Percy Bacon, Dilys Overbury née Maylor, Bessie Dixon [Mum].
We are all ...
Image ID CW3_107
40. Grace Evelyn Hewes née STOKER and Rita Stoker (Eric Stoker's wife)
A. Hewes shop on left - it is Blackwater Pearl in 2018.
Image ID DB05_020_003
41. Presentation at Colchester Co-op. Dorothy Brown is on the left.
Photograph is by Tony Nichols, Ipswich Rd., Colchester.
Date: 15 February 1975
Image ID DB11_011_003
42. Dorothy Brown - presentation at the Co-op in Mersea. Dorothy Brown on the left and Geoff Green on the right.
This Co-op was on the corner of Kingsland Road ...
Date: October 1979
Image ID DB11_013_001
43. Presentation a West Mersea Co-op on retirment of Geoff Green, the Branch Manager. He is cutting the cake. Dorothy Brown is second from left.
Date: October 1979
Image ID DB11_013_003
44. Retirements. Geoff's Golden Years.
West Mersea branch grocery manager Geoff Green receives his retirement cheque from Society Director Mrs Wendy Morris ...
Date: October 1979
Image ID DB11_013_005
45. West Mersea Co-op - on the corner of Kingsland Road and Barfield Road. This must be the store room behind the shop as this shop was never ...
Image ID DB11_013_007
46. Dorothy Brown at Digby's shop, pouring paraffin.
Image ID DB16_021
47. Digby's Shop being demolished. The shop front had been built by Gilbert Rowley.
Image ID DBO_077
48. Holly Lodge, 2 High Street North, West Mersea. For many years the base for John Whiting, sand and ballast, house fuels, and haulage contractor. Whiting's yard ...
Date: 29 August 2019
Image ID DC10_WTG_007
49. Digby's 1926 Austin Chummy TW6307. It was used to deliver paraffin on the island for many years, and dropped out of use in the late 1940s. When Digby's closed ...
Image ID DCR_001_001
50. Digby's 1926 Austin Chummy TW6307, restored by David O'Connor. The car returned to Mersea as a special guest for the 2015 Lions Transport Show on 8 August 2015.
Image ID DCR_031
51. Gowens sailmakers. L-R Colin Anstey, Daphne Hewes (on floor). Claude Green (behind Daphne), Stanley French, John Wareing, George Freer (on floor), Ernie Ponder, ...
Image ID DEP_GOW_007
52. Fred I. Wass. Hairdresser and Tobacconist.
Frederick Inward Wass was born in 1912. He started work on a Saturday as a lather boy for Bobby Keyes when he ...
Image ID DIS2010_WASS_003
53. Clifford White & Co West Mersea. Manhole cover. On display in Mersea Museum, Benham Wing
Date: 23 August 2018
Image ID DIS2011_CMW_013
54. The Central Cafe in High Street after the fire.
Undated newspaper photograph by J.E. Stutter
From an attached cutting:
... it was discovered ...
Image ID DM1_AB1_011_005
55. Gunsite in Action. 1947!
The ammunition is soft drinks and ice cream; the "gun-crew" Mrs Stoker and Mrs Dawson. But the concrete walls of this unusual ...
Date: 27 June 1947
Image ID DM1_AB4_008_003
56. Mrs June Williams at the West Mersea Telephone Exchange.
Date: 15 January 1965
Image ID DM1_AB5_064_005
57. Farewell to the Fairhaven. The demolition men and machines move into West Mersea and a familiar local scene starts to disappear.
The retaurant ...
Date: 26 January 1973
Image ID DM1_AB9_037_001
58. Blanche's cafe at the bottom of Lower Kingsland Road. Mrs Veronica Smith (née Downsworth) in front.
Image ID DOW_OPA_017
59. Digbys' Shop - Hugh Banham by the counter.
Photograph from Eileen Brown
Image ID EBR_003
60. Happy Days on the island. School days in West Mersea - pupils at Wests Mersea Council School in 1923. The picture was sent in by Mrs Iris Harvey née ...
Date: 31 October 2003
Image ID ECS_2003_OCT31_020