91. Snow outside the White Hart. The lights on the gable end were put on for the 1953 Coronation, and in 2013 were still in place but not working.
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID RG14_015
92. The Fountain Hotel, Queens Corner, West Mersea. Built by Maurice Mark Thorp in 1912, bricks made in Mersea. Demolished 1999.
Photo by Tony Ward.
Image ID RG19_101
93. Cottages in the Lane, partially demolished, thought to be in the 1920s. The site is now The City Hall assembly hall was built on the site around 1930. The ...
Image ID RG19_119
94. Victory Hotel in the snow.
Image ID RG19_125
95. The White Hart.
The men L-R are Leonard 'Joe' Hewes, Reg Jay (standing), Maurice Jay (Brian's dad), George Milgate and Jack Maylor. The photo, stuck on ...
Image ID RG25_593
96. British Legion Fun Nights
Bill Green, Jeff Atkins, Bob Atkins, Tom Farthing, Stuart Webb, Mary Chapman, Jane Webb
Image ID RG25_713
97. The Fountain. Email to Ron from David Walker: I can't remember when it was obtained but as I've not been on the Island since about 1952 it should be prior to ...
Image ID RG27_505
98. Rebuilding the White Hart. View from West Mersea Church Tower.
Date: 19 November 2019
Image ID RUD_004_001
99. Rebuilding the White Hart. View northwest from West Mersea Church Tower.
Date: 19 November 2019
Image ID RUD_004_003
100. Victory Hotel, West Mersea. A Hammond card which dates it to around 1911.
Addressed to Miss Mildred French, 75 Chalk Farm Road, London NW., to Millie From ...
Image ID RUD_AB2_077
101. Fred Smith's bakers cart down the 'City End' by the old Victory. John Woods just visible on the left.
Wm Wyatt with brushes. Miss Smith and Miss Bagworth ...
Image ID SD01_045_003
102. The New Fountain, West Mersea. From East Road facing towards Queens Corner. The Fountain is on the left with Fountain Cottage and Upland House beyond. The ...
Date: Before August 1913
Image ID SD01_061_001
103. The Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. Postcard undated
Image ID SKP_015
104. Queen's Corner, West Mersea. Bell's postcard 101944, not mailed.
The Austin car parked on the corner JN763 appears in other photographs and probably ...
Image ID SKP_331
105. The White Hart, West Mersea, venue of the annual audit dinner of the Church and Strood Lands Charity
From A Study of the Strood by W.E. Duane. Chapter 11.
Image ID SOS_011_003_001
106. The Fox on East Road when the old hall stood next to it. Old King Coel strong ale. Brilliant bottled beer. Famous stout.
Image ID SS020065
107. Inside the old Victory. John Milgate, Ernie Cudmore, William Wyatt, Ernie Wells, Zebedee Milgate, Sid Stoker, Herbert Welham, Charlie Mussett and Bob Burgess. ...
Image ID SS040047
108. Charlie Ward's carrier's van outside the White Hart at Mersea. Had your Guinness today ? The White Hart Hotel has ales from Daniell & Sons Ltd.
Date: June 1955
Image ID SS050054
109. Outside the White Hart. L-R 1. Charlie, who worked behind the bar at the White Hart, 2. John Clifton ?, 3. Edwin Woods, 4. Frank Durbajlo - a Polish man who ...
Image ID SWA_021
110. White Hart Darts Team. 1. Reg Jay, 2. Don Spurgeon, 3. Snowball Hewes, 4. Archie Johnson (with cup), 5. Billy Johnson, 6. Maurice Jay, 7. Joe Hewes.
Image ID SWA_025
111. May and Syd Milgate before they were married in 1952. May was waitressing that day - this was what she had to wear.
Image ID TLY_111
112. Remembrance Sunday celebration at West Mersea War Memorial.
In the background, the White Hart is undergoing major restoration.
Date: 10 November 2019
Image ID TM8_0762
113. White Hart, West Mersea. Work has started on refurbishment, with scaffolding in place. The pub had closed in 2013.
Date: 22 April 2019
Image ID TM9_0322
114. Rebuilding the White Hart.
Date: 18 November 2019
Image ID TM9_0908
115. Early bus, taxi and charabanc outside the White Hart in Mersea. The landlord is A.H. Went - Arthur Went was landlord from 1895 to about 1931.
The card was ...
Image ID VDW_003
116. West Mersea Council Cuttings Book 3 page 21.
Mersea pub on stilts.
West Mersea's 250 year old pub, the Fox, has spent nearly a month on stilts as part ...
Date: 16 June 1972
Image ID WMC_SB03_023_001
117. Pub Call. Your 'local'.
The 'Old Victory pub, once a favourite haunt at Wests Mersea, has now been converted into two cottages.
The Victory pub ...
Date: 25 January 1973
Image ID WMC_SB03_129
118. Mr Bill Bacon, landlord of the Victory at West Mersea.
See linkimage,id=WMC_SB03_129; for the full article.
Date: 12 January 1973
Image ID WMC_SB03_129_001
119. Bill Wyatt's 94th Birthday at the Sailing and Social Club
L-R 1. Barbara Benham, 2. Hervey Benham, 3. Bill Wyatt, 4. Wendy Brady, 5. ?
Image ID WW03_ADM_001
120. Bill Wyatt's 94th Birthday at Sailing and Social Club
Image ID WW03_ADM_003