31. View looking north of part of Victoria Esplanade, West Mersea. Two Sugars Cafe - Gun No.1 emplacement [MCC7269] to the west of it appears to have been recently ...
Image ID DC3_011
32. Seaview Avenue. Charleston Court in the centre.
Image ID DC3_012
33. Posts in the mud about 200 yds East of Seaview Avenue, West Mersea, visible at low tide. They are believed by some, but not all, to be an Anglo-Saxon fish weir ...
Date: 9 July 2006
Image ID DIS07_FWR_SVW_0295
34. West Mersea to be Model Resort
Mersea Beach - New Style
An impression of part of the proposed new foreshore plan at West Mersea. It shows the central ...
Date: 22 February 1946
Image ID DM1_AB4_002_002
35. Gunsite in Action. 1947!
The ammunition is soft drinks and ice cream; the "gun-crew" Mrs Stoker and Mrs Dawson. But the concrete walls of this unusual ...
Date: 27 June 1947
Image ID DM1_AB4_008_003
36. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of ...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
37. 1939 Blanche's Cafe at the bottom of Lower Kingland Road. Mrs Veronica Smith (née Downsworth) in front.
Image ID DOW_OPA_013
38. Blanche's cafe at the bottom of Lower Kingsland Road. Mrs Veronica Smith (née Downsworth) in front.
Image ID DOW_OPA_017
39. Shears meadow at the end of Victoria Esplanade is at last being built upon and will bring a new element into the sea front scene.
From "An Urban Dream ...
Date: 3 May 1986
Image ID ECS_1968_MAY03_032_001
40. The skeleton of a war-time pillbox on Victoria Esplanade marks the spot where Edwardian planners had envisaged a pier.
From "An Urban Dream of Mersea", ...
Date: 3 May 1968
Image ID ECS_1968_MAY03_032_003
41. On the shore at "Fair Haven". Photo Mr F. Pallett
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 2.
Image ID FAV_004_002
42. Open Air Service on the Shore. Photo F. Pallett.
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 7.
Image ID FAV_009_001
43. The Ever Restless Sea "Fair Haven" Photo Mr Bennett Charles.
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 9.
Image ID FAV_011_002
44. Another popular meeting place for lads from the 50s through to the late 60s was an area of grass between the small gunsite shop on the beach [ Searchlight Cafe ...
Image ID FL01_061_002
45. On the beach by the Searchlight Cafe.
Back 1. John 'Skidger' Green, 2. 'Chicks' Milgate, 3. David 'Mowy' Mussett
Centre 1. Graham 'Goofy' Woods, 2. ...
Image ID FL01_062_001
46. Beach Club
Back Brenda Diprose (Whiting), Sharon Lay.
Centre Colin Tucker, Stephen Farthing, Debbie Farthing, Anne Marriage, Stanley 'Bump' ...
Image ID FL03_019_001
47. MICHALAKIS on the mud near the bottom of Empress Avenue.
Beryl Milgate, Ron Pamment, Alan Pamment.
From Album 3.
Date: c14 February 1958
Image ID FL03_028_003
48. The Beach. Postcard 14398. Another copy of this card ws posted 6 July 1926
Date: Before July 1926
Image ID GEO_001_009
49. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_001
50. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_003
51. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_005
52. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_007
53. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_009
54. Land Army girls with Alexandra Family at the bottom of Fairhaven Avenue. Fairhaven Cafe in the background.
Image ID GRD_LAN_019
55. On the beach. Huts
Image ID GRS_OPA_019
56. Sue's Gran Bill Sprake at back, Sue's in front 1929
Image ID GRS_OPA_021
57. Fairhaven Cafe and chalets, all demolished 1971 to build Fairhaven Court.
Image ID GSM_OPA_047
58. Beach Huts after the 1953 Floods. Between Fairhaven and Seaview Avenue.
Date: cFebruary 1953
Image ID HAD01_003
59. Alice Hewes, Robert and Betty at West Mersea.
Image ID HAY_HEW_106
60. Alice Hewes, Gill, Rob at West Mersea
Image ID HAY_HEW_108