1. Barge LADY GWYNFRED of Rochester ashore in a gale at Brightlingsea. Douglas Went postcard. Brightlingsea Promenade. Postcard mailed 26 March 1938. A similar ...
Date: Before March 1938
Image ID RG06_011
2. The Creek, Brightlingsea. Old barge used as a cafe on the Point Clear beach. Anchor Hotel, Brightlingsea in the distance across the water.
Postcard 5244 by ...
Date: Before September 1910
Image ID RG06_037
3. River Colne at Rowhedge looking upstream to the World War 1 bridge across the river.
Image ID RG06_041
4. The Old Mill, St. Osyth. Tide mill on the right. Barge MAY FLOWER alongside wharf.
Image ID RG06_051
5. Stowboater and barges at St Osyth. The maltings shown were burned down in 1920 and the photo probably dates from well before the first world war, for both ...
Date: Before 1914
Image ID RG06_055
6. St Osyth Mill with Goldsmith's barge SIESTA by the mill. Postcard 1255 postmarked 24 September 1934.
Date: Before September 1934
Image ID RG06_061
7. Barges at Colchester Hythe. On left is CENTAUR of Rochester. Bow of VERA further down the quay.
Image ID RG06_067
8. Colchester Hythe Quay. Sailing Barge CENTAUR of Rochester, Official No. 110955.
Picture used in Last Stronghold of Sail, page 17.
Image ID RG06_069
9. Colchester Hythe. Sailing barge VERA with a deck cargo of barrels. Owen Parry's Mills used to send out linseed oil in barrels - more barrels can be seen on the ...
Date: Before 1928
Image ID RG06_073
10. Colchester Hythe. A coaster on the left, several barges beyond. View looking upstream towards Hythe Bridge.
The vessel on the left is unidentified. It ...
Image ID RG06_077
11. Colchester Hythe - view from Hythe Bridge. Sailing barges ESTHER, LANDRAIL and VERA. Steamship GEM.
GEM Official No. 81975, registered Colchester, 1881. ...
Date: Before August 1907
Image ID RG06_087
12. Sailing barge IMPERIAL of London and sailing barge PAGLESHAM at Colchester Hythe.
Image ID RG06_089
13. Wyvenhoe - barge coming up the Colne. Steam yachts moored in river bank.
Postcard 33384 mailed 9 September 1908
Date: Before September 1908
Image ID RG06_095
14. View from Wivenhoe Church tower looking across to Fingringhoe and the Roman River. One of R. & W. Paul's barges sailing down the Colne and in the distance ...
Image ID RG06_097
15. Barge (FANNY ?) at the Strood. Postcard 78493 postmarked 4 February 1930.
Date: Before February 1930
Image ID RG06_105
16. The Brightlingsea owned ketch barge BRITANNIC unloading coal at Mersea. She was built at Southtown Suffolk in 1891.
Image ID RG06_107
17. Brightlingsea owned ketch barge BRITANNIC unloading coal at West Mersea, with oyster smack UNITY ahead of her. She was built at Southtown Suffolk in 1891 ...
Date: Before August 1924
Image ID RG06_109
18. Barges unloading on West Mersea Hard. Clifford White lorry N01671. Left hand barge is RUSSELL on dinghy, with bricks. GOLDEN FLEECE in centre with timber and ...
Image ID RG06_113
19. Barge at Church Wharf, Salcot. Postcard 79732.
Image ID RG06_115
20. Swimmie or swim-head barge unloading manure at The Shoe, Goldhanger. Postcard 63876 posted 1912.
Photograph used in one of the Slideshows shown in Mersea ...
Date: Before 1912
Image ID RG06_117
21. Ketch rigged barge unloading in the lock at Heybridge. Believed to be the FEARLESS and the date is September 1920 or May 1921.
FEARLESS was built 1876 by ...
Image ID RG06_123
22. Heybridge Basin - ketch barge FEARLESS unloading granite chipping for road
making, Essex C.C. FEARLESS was built 1876 at Ipswich, Official No. ...
Image ID RG06_125
23. Stackie barge WILLIAM AND ARTHUR and the Danish HECLA in Heybridge Basin. In the lock is the Danish NATHALIA. The HECLA has 222 tons of deals and the NATHALIA ...
Date: 7 September 1911
Image ID RG06_127
24. Heybridge Basin drained - the barge UNITY to the left of the lock. The remains of the UNITY are in Sampsons Creek and her wheel was rescued by John Milgate and ...
Image ID RG06_131
25. Brigantine and barges at Heybridge Basin.
Image ID RG06_137
26. Heybridge Basin. Sailing barge VERONA on the right. Also UNIQUE, KEEBLE, ROSE lighters ?. Postcard H5971 postmarked 1949.
ROSE was sold to Brown as a ...
Date: Before 1949.
Image ID RG06_139
27. The LORD WARDEN at Church Wharf Salcott unloading flints, c1920. Her skipper at this time was Jack Spitty.
Used in Down Tops'l page 65 - caption ...
Image ID RG06_351