Salcott and Virley
Essex villages at the head of Salcott Creek on the River Blackwater. Virley was once an important village and Salcott just a hamlet of Great Wigborough known as Salcott Wigborough. They are now known as Salcott-cum-Virley.
1768 History of Salcott-Wigborough by Morant
1768 History of Salcott Virley by Morant
1831 History & Topography - Wright & Bartlett - Salcot Virley
1881 Boundary Map
Salcott, Virley with detached portion, surrounding villages
'Your Essex' at Tolleshunt D'Arcy Salcot and Virley 1930s
Salcott and Virley by George Biddell 1933
Salcott and Virley - Essex Countryside 1962
The Parish Church of St Mary, Salcott
Salcott Church c1830
Chantry at Salcott-Wigborough
Salcott War Memorial
Salcott Farm Account Books
- Pictures and Documents
This is not a comprehensive history of Salcot and is mainly based on papers from Tom Millatt. He was schoolmaster at Birch, Lay Reader, and always had a special interest in Salcot.
Further papers and photographs have come from his former pupils at Birch School.
St Mary's Parish Church, Salcott
Salcott Street. Sun Inn. School.
Church Wharf, Salcot