from The History and Topography of the County of Essex by Thos. Wright and W. Bartlett, Volume 2, pages 741 and 742. [ MBK_BV2 ]
This parish, on the borders of Thurstable hundred, is sometimes named Little Salcot,
also written Salcot-Verley, and Vyrley, or Scalcot cum Verley [ or Virley or Salcott cum Virley in modern times]. It is on the
north side of the creek, by which it is separated from Salcot, Wigborough; is thinly
inhabited, and contains about two thousand acres of low marshy land. Distant from
Maldon seven miles, and from London forty-five.
Before the conquest, a freeman had the lands of this parish, which, at the survey,
belonged to Robert de Verli, who held them under Robert Gernon; but afterwards
the Verlies became proprietors of this estate. [ Note 1 ]
The manor-house is near the church. Robert, the first recorded owner of this
family, was the father of Robert, whose son and heir was sir Philip de Verli, whose
son Robert married Margaret, daughter of sir Ralph Gernon, by Alianor his wife,
daughter of Robert de Vere, earl of Oxford; his son and heir was Philip, whose
sons were, John, who died without issue, and Roger. In 1314, Philip de Verli
conveyed this estate to Walter de Patteshull, on whose decease, in 1330, he left
Thomas, his son, his heir; and Walter, son of Thomas, was living in 1351. [ Note 2 ]
Sir John Lee, who died in 1370, held this estate under John de Vere, seventh
earl of Oxford ; and was succeeded by his son Walter, who died in 1395, and left
three sisters his co-heiresss: Margery, wife of Robert Newport; Joan, wife of John
Barlee ; and Alice, wife of sir Thomas Morewell; and on partition of the estates,
this became the share of Margery, and her husband Robert Newport: he died in
1428, and his wife in 1467. Their son and heir, WilUam Newport, on his decease
in 1434, held this manor; and his descendants, who succeeded to it, were his son
George, who died in 1484; and Robert, his son, followed by John Newport esq., in
1518, who, dying in 1524, left his only daughter, Grace, then only eight years old,
contracted in marriage with Henry Parker, esq., son and heir of Henry lord Morley.
He died in his father's life-time, in 1550, leaving Henry his eldest son and heir, who
became lord Morley, on his grandfather's death in 1556, and held this manor at the
time of his decease in 1577. Successors of this noble family were, Edward lord
Morley, who died in 1618; William and Henry, lords Morley and Montegle; and
the last of these sold the estate to Anthony Abdy, esq., who gave it to his third
son, John, created a baronet in 1660, and styled of Moors in Salcot. Sir John, dying
without issue, was succeeded in this possession by his heirs, seated at Albins. The
Moor, or More, formerly a distinct manor, is now included in this estate, which
belongs to J.R.H. Abdy, esq. of Claybury Hall.
An estate, named Abbot's Wic, formerly belonging to the abbot of St. Asyth, is
also now included in the capital manor.
Church. The church is a very small building, dedicated to the Virgin Mary: in the west
window there is, or was formerly, an ancient coat of arms : gules, a cross azure,
charged with five leopards' faces, or.
In 1821 there were one hundred and thirty-eight inhabitants in this parish, and
one hundred and fifty-four in 1831.
Note 1. By an inquisition on the death of Aveline, wife of Edmund, second son of king Henry the third, in
1275, it appears, that Robert de Verli held four knight's fees of the barony of Stansted, belonging to
Gernon, viz.: Tolleshunt Darcy, Little Birche Saltecote, Cofford, and Samantune ; by the two last of
which is meant part of Copford, and an estate here and in Peldon.
Note 2. Arms of Verli : Or, a bend gules, between six eagles sable.