|Abstract||The White Hart was in the centre of West Mersea life for many years. It appears on an 1817 map of West Mersea - the oldest part is probably at the back of today's building. Many Island organisations (including the church) held meetings there, the bus terminus was in the road outside, and there was even a radio broadcast from there in 1947.
The White Hart closed in 2013, and is now undergoing major restoration, w to reopen as a bar/cafe with luxury guest rooms.
From the church tower c1990
1817 Thomas May map [ MMC_P1077A_882 ]
1839 Tithe Map. WM Field 284, White Hart Inn, Yards etc.
Owner John Jones, Occupier Henry Boyden Croyden
[ TITHE_1839_WM_2890_001 ]
1841 Henry Croyden Innkeeper, Laura Croyden [ Census ]
1855 John Mann, traders, [ Kelly's 1855, CGU_1855 ]
1861 Sarah King, Innkeeper [ Census ]
1874 William Henry Traveller, [Kelly's 1874]
1881 William H. Traveller, Licensed Victualler, [Census]
1884 Earthquake damage [ MAW_P074 ]
A clock in the bar stopped at 9.18 [ Mersea Courier Dec 2010 ]
c1887 "there were sing songs at the White Hart, the star artist being a coastguard named Billy the Dancer, who had a board on which he step danced. [ TXA01950 ]
1891 Edward Whiffin, LIcensed Victualler [Census].
1894 Edward Whiffin, Kelly's 1894.
28 Nov 1895 Arthur Went come to White Hart [ Edith Smith Diary ]
1901 Arthur H. West, Hotel Manager [Census]
1908 Arthur Hy. Went, Kelly's 1908
1917 Arthur Hy. Went, Kelly's 1917
1929 Arthur Hy. Went, Kelly's 1929
1931 Arthur Went (and others) [Electors]
1933 Patrick Clement Fahie, [Kelly's 1933]
c1935 advertisement from Mersea Guide P.C. Fahie [MD05_047 ]
1937 Patrick Clement Fahie, [Kelly's 1937]
30 Nov 1947 BBC Country Magazine broadcast from White Hart. Leo Michael-Smith landlord [ RG03_CMG_001 ]
1955 Leo Michael-Smith, Winifred Michael-Smith [Electors]
June 1955 Photo outside White Hart. Daniell & Cons. [ SS050054 ]
Nov 1963 Leo and Win Michael-Smith retired after almost 20 years
[ IA01_895 ]
1968-73 Sydney Richard Dear Publican [Electors]
c1970 advertisement in Mersea Guide. Mr & Mrs R. Allerton [ MD40_002 ]
1984 Under new management. Former Host moving to the Plough at Peldon [ MIS_1985_026 ]
May 2010 several photographs inside the pub [MLD_WHT_001 ]
July 2013 White Hart closed.
Summer 2019 rebuilding started.
|Title:|| The White Hart.
The men L-R are Leonard 'Joe' Hewes, Reg Jay (standing), Maurice Jay (Brian's dad), George Milgate and Jack Maylor. The photo, stuck on cardboard, was found in the cellar during an earlier refurbishment. I gave the original to Brian [Ron Green 2019]
|Source:||Ron Green Collection|