|Title||Mersea Pubs - the Fox|
|Abstract||The Fox is on East Road, West Mersea. The 1839 Tithe Map shows the buildings as cottages and yard, occupied by William Rogers who by 1841 was listed in the Census as 'Beerhouse Keeper'. The prominent front of the building by the road probably dates from 1880s and there have been many changes over the years.
The entrance to the bar was on the west side of the building, and there was a shop on the east side, near the location of the main door onto the car park today.
The present car park area was occupied by a large clubhouse. The Ploughing Match was a regular event from the 1920s to 1948 and was combined with a social evening and prizegiving in the Club House.
Club House on left next to The Fox Inn. Old King Coel strong ale.
Above: August 2007
1839 Tithe Map shows William Rogers and others occupying Cottage and Yards on the site of the Fox. The land is owned by Rebecca Saunders.
1844 William Rogers, Beerhouse keeper [Whites - WHI_1844_160]
1861 William Rogers, Victualler and Seed Grower [ Census]
1863 Wm. Rogers shopkr. & vict. [ White's WHI_1863_178]
1868 Samuel Mead, Licensed Victualler [ Marriage - wife's father]
1871 Samuel Mead, Farm Labourer [Census]
1876 tender £250 from Pitt accepted for alternations to Fox Inn
26 Aug 1882 Wm Munson at the Fox opposed request by James Syer Smith of the Fountain to hold a license to sell wines in addition to his license as a Beerhouse Keeper. The request was rejected.
1882 William Munson, Kelly's 1882
1891 William Munson, blacksmith & inn keeper, East Road [Census]
1894 William Munson, Kelly's 1894
1894 Aug 25 The license of the Fox at West Mersea was transferred to G.S. Edwards, late of Colchester Borough Police. [He was son of James Edwards, sea-waller]
c1905 Photo - the Fox and Fountain, East Rd. [MMC_P755_144]
1908 George Shadrach Edwards, Kelly's 1908
c1910 Colchester Brewing Company - see photo above.
1911 George L. Edwards, Licensed Victualler [Census]
1921 William Welham [Electors]
1931 William Welham [Electors]
1936 John Allen Masson [Electors]
1937 Jn. Masson, Kelly's 1937
1955 Herbert W. Penton and Gertrude S. Penton [Register of Electors]
1969 March 27th - Marie and Ted Thompson new tenants [Scrapbook cutting]
1978 Photo - Mersea Island Lions Club Members at the Fox [RG03_003 ]
|Title:|| The Fox. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. East Road, West Mersea. Postcard mailed June 1915. |
|Date:||Before June 1915|
|Source:||Mersea Museum / Carol Wyatt|
|Title:|| The Fox Public House, on East Road, West Mersea. |
|Date:||6 August 2007|
|Source:||Mersea Museum / Mike L. Davies|
|Title:|| West Mersea Council Cuttings Book 3 page 21.
Mersea pub on stilts.
West Mersea's 250 year old pub, the Fox, has spent nearly a month on stilts as part of a £16,000 modernisation plan.
Behind the modernisation, which has created 2,000 squaare feet more space are two Mersea men, ex-fisherman Ron Garriock and business man Dave Cockett.
They bought the pub at the beginning of the year and began work about two months ago. The modernised pub - one of six pubs on the island - will include a new saloon bar and a snooker room with two tables.
"We had the back part of the pub - which is about 250 years old - up on stilts for three weeks while we built the new rooms down below," said Mr Garriock.
Though he was a fisherman in Mersea for years, Mr Garriock got the taste of pub life helping out his mother, who used to run the Social and Sailing Club.
He'll be leaving the sea for good to become a full-time publican with Mr Cockett. He and his wife and children are moving into the pub this week.
They hope to open officially on July 4 but have no special plans or stunts in mind for the opening.
By using the jacking system to hold the structure together while they built the extended bars and kitchens, it has been possible to retain many of the old beams in the pub.
|Date:||16 June 1972|
|Source:||Mersea Museum / WMTC|