|'Old' Fountain Hotel
East Road, near The Fox
The 'old' Fountain on East Road with The Fox in the distance
The 'old' Fountain. On the bench are Dolley Green, Gertie Lilley, Georgie Boggis & sister Empsie. Mr Boggis landlord. Charles Boggis, who ran the Pub stands in the doorway whilst his son, George, poses in front of the window.
1868 - James Syer Smith giving evidence 26 Aug 1882 says he has had a Beerhouse Keeper license for 14 years.
1871 at the Fountain. James Smith, Labourer Thatcher, Mary Smith, shopkeeper, Edith Smith age 13 scholar. [Census]
1881 James S. Smith, Beer House Keeper & Seed Grower [Census]
17 Jul 1894 Mr Samuel come to Fountain with work for first time [MMC_P765_014]
26 Aug 1882 James Syer Smith applied to hold additional license to sell wine. It was opposed by Wm Munson of the Fox. The license was not granted, as James Smith has only an existing license as a Beerhouse Keeper.
James Smith described himself as a seedsman and said he had frequent applications for wine from his London seedsmen. It was stated during the hearing that there were 3 'houses' on Mersea (Victory, White Hart and Fox) and 3 beerhouses including the Fountain.
13 Jan 1901 James Smith died - Peldon gravestone [ MMC_P753_A_095 ]
1901 Mary A. Smith, Farmer & Beer House keeper [Census]
April 1911 Census - at the Fountain are Charles Boggis age 46 In Keeper, Julia Boggis 47 wife, Florence Boggis 24 barmaid ...
16 Oct 1911 Alfred Martin went to 'The Fountain' [ Edith Smith diary MMC_P765_044 ]
'New' Fountain Hotel
at Queens Corner. Opened c1913. There was a plan for a railway to Mersea at the time, and there were suggestions that East Road would become Station Road and that the Fountain would be the Station Hotel, but the railway was never built.
The 'new' Fountain at Queens Corner c1920. The licensee named is Edith Smith
Berry's bus passing the Fountain at Queens Corner. The licensee is Edith Smith but there is now a Daniell & Sons sign on the pub.
Early 1950s. L-R Dorothy Aldous née Walker, Pon Aldous (proprietors) and helpers
The Fountain Hotel Hall. Setting for the Mill Road area Coronation Street Party
The Bar. Maurice Fletcher and Claude Green. Claude worked part time at Fountain and full time at Gowens the sailmakers
Demolition. December 1999
19 Jan 1912 land at Queens Corner conveyed from Frederic Deane to Mrs Mary Anne Smith and Miss Edith Smith [Deeds of Fountain Hotel].
11 Nov 1913 apple trees planted at New Fountain [ Edith Smith Diary ].
1917 Miss Edith Smith, Kelly's 1917
1922 Miss Edith Smith, Kelly's 1922
23 May 1924 Fountain Inn sold by Mary Anne Smith and Mother to Colchester Brewing Company [Deeds of Fountain Hotel]
1925 Albert Kirby, Kelly's 1925
1933 Albert Wm. Osborne, Kelly's 1933
1935 the owners have become Ind Coope & Allsop [Deeds]
1937 H.E. Dinham, Kelly's 1937
1955 Arthur S. Aldous and Dorothy E. Aldous, Fountain Hotel [Electoral Roll]
1957 Joseph Henry Lewis, publican [Parish Register]
1992 the owners have become Allied Lyons [Deeds]
December 1999 Fountain Hotel demolished. Fountain Court housing was built on the site.