|Will of John Hall yeoman of East Mersea 12th July 1666 transcribed from ERO D/ ACW 17/181 [The will is wrongly listed as 'John Hutt]
Transcription by Jenny Ennew December 2022
Checked by Sue Howlett
John Hall yeoman of East Mersea gives ten shillings to each of his sisters Briget and Joyce Willkson.
Gives five shillings to Joyse his cousin's wife and William Willkson.
Gives twenty shillings to his apprentice.
Gives wife Ann his copyhold messuage and tenement that belongs to East Mersea Hall called Michells until her death when it passes to John Willkson and his heirs.
Gives Richard Shildrick his best suit of doublet hose and short coat.
Everything else he leaves to his wife Ann and requests his friend William Locker to help her with any business if she requests it.
1. In the name of god Amen:I John Hall of east marsay in
2. the Cowntie of Essex yeoman beinge Sick In body butt In good and
3. perfict Memorie thanks bee too god for itt doe ordaine & Make this My
4. last will and teastmant In Mannoer and Forme Followinge First I [word crossed out]
5. beequeath my [hand ][crossed out] Soule Into the Hands of god that gave itt mee
6. And My body to the earth In hope and Full Assuerance of A
7. Joyffull Resueritcion:to bee buried at the derricon of My exectuis
8. heareaffter minconed and As for the worlie goods that god of his :
9. Mercie hath Lent Mee I give and bee queath as Followeth
10. Imprimes Item I give unto my Sister briget the wife of John
11. Jeferson tenn Shillings to bee paid one yeare affter my desease by my exectuis
12. Item I give unto my Sister Joyse Willkson tenn shillinges to bee paid one
13. yeare affter my desease It[e]m I give unto Joyse the wife of my couson
14. Five Shillinges to bee paid one yeare affter My desease Item I give unto
15. William Willkson Five shillings to bee paied one yeare affter My desease
16. Item I give unto my Apprentice twentie Shillings to bee paid Six
17. Monthes affter My dessease It[e]m I give unto my lovinge wife Ann:
18. all that my Copie hold Measeage & teneamant with the
19. bee longen to the Manior of eastmarsey Hall for terme of her Natrall
20. life: provided Shee keepe the said Maseage & tenemant In sufficant
21. Repare And Affter her desease I give the Said Copie hold Maseage
22. and tenamand with the Appurtnences Called Michells to John Willkson
23. Sonn of William Willkson of westmarsey deseased and to the hearrs
24. of his body Lawfullie begotten & for want of Such hairs to Joyse
25. Willkson the wife of William Tomson and to her heairs for ever
26. It[e]m I give unto Richard Shildrick My best Sute of warrige Apparill
27. that is to say dublet hose & Short Cootie All the Rest of My goods
28. Movablles bills bonds debts dues whatsoever I give unto my lovinge
29. wife Ann : whom I doe make my Sole exectrix paying My debts
30. and Leageses and bringen My body deacantlie to the grownd : It[e]m
31. I doe allsoe request my lovinge Frende William Locker to bee Aidinge
32. And Asistinge to my said wife:In Anie besenes [business ]: that shall bee Nedfull
33. Att her Request wittnes My hand and Seales this twelf daie of Julie
34. In the yeare of our Lord god 1666
35. Sealled Signed and delivred his
36. In the p[re]sence of us John + Hall
37. William Locker mark
38. John + Kies
39. his Mark.