|Abstract||Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea, previously the Grey Goose
The Dog and Pheasant used to be known as the Grey Goose - a 1769 document in Essex
Record Office refers to it by that name, and the 1838 Tithe Map also calls it
Grey Goose. However, by 1855 it was known as the Dog and Pheasant.
In 1928 the building was much extended on the west side, and since then,
the old part has been used as the pub restaurant, a holiday home, and a
C. & W.R. Seabrooke's fine pale and mild ales and porter.
Landlord J.H. Death. Before 1918
c1920. Landlord J.C. Hoy
1769 "tenement called Grey Goose, all copyhold of manor of East Mersea otherwise East Hall, 1769; [ ERO D/DEt T173 ]
c1830 (date uncertain) license application by George Avis for 'house' in East Mersea [ HH06_607 ]
1838 Tithe Map - George Avis, occupier, Beershop, East Mersea [
c1843 owned by Hannah Clarke [ IA01_HAN_001 ]
1848 George Avey, beerhouse keeper (but where ?) [Whites - WHI_1848_159 ]
Heather Haward thinks this is George Avis.
1855 John Gunn, traders, [ Kelly's 1855 ]
1861 Benjamin Heard, Inn Keeper [ Census]
1863 Benj. Heard, shopkeeper [ White's WHI_1863_177]
1880 Dog & Pheasant a free house owned by a Mr Wilson who also owns Home Farm in occupation of Mr Death, farmer. [ John Bennett notes at ERO
1881 Charles Mead, Innkeeper [Census] Charles is brother of Jane Pullen née Mead who was at the Peldon Rose.
1891 Charles E. Mead, Innkeeper [Census]
1894 Charles Mead, commercial, Kelly's 1894
1909 James Henry Death, 28, farmer, married Violet Bullock of East Mersea. Violet's father was Charles Bullock, Publican
Before 1915 Photo [ PG2_217 ]
1917 Jesse Hoy, Kelly's 1917
1922 Jesse Hoy, Kelly's 1922
1925 Jesse Hoy, Kelly's 1925
1928 Building plan for reconstruction - ERO D/RLw Pb1/1630
1929 F. Mycroft, Kelly's 1929
1932 Herbert Thomas Hone, Kelly's 1932 (brother of Ronnie Hone of Sailing and Social Club - see DM1_AB3_020_019 )
Dec 1936 Mr & Mrs J. Scholey have left the Golf Club to become proprietors of the Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea [ PA1_JAY_THM_GOL_PIC17 ]
1937 Jn. Scholey, Kelly's 1937
1946 September John Scholey licensee [ DM2_AB10_069_001 ]
c1947 School photo with caption "Roma Fulcher's father was landlord of the Dog & Pheasant." [ RG11_397 ]
1965 Photo including Harry Fulcher, landlord of Dog & Pheasant [
July 1980 advertisement for Dog & Pheasant. John & Evonne Rann [ MICA_DKY_016 ]
|Title:|| The "Dog and Pheasant" Inn, East Mersea - where the old yields pride of place to the new, as though wishing to retire, after so many centuries of service, from the island's present highway; and where nature, not wanting to lose so old an acquaintance, weaves about it a protective and harmonious curtain of creeper.
Postcard, not mailed, but with King George VI stamp. Drawing by S.J. Heady 47.
|Source:||Mersea Museum / Rosemary Kimmel|