14 of 36 Slide Show Running

Click to Slide Show


 Salcott - from Kelly's Directory 1894



SALCOTT (or Salcot Wigborough) is a village and parish, on the Salcot Creek, which is navigable, 7 miles
south-east from Kelvedon railway station on the main line of the Great Eastern railway, 11 east from Witham,
9 north-east from Maldon, and 8 ½ south-south-west from Colchester, in the North Eastern division of the 
county, Wi ...
Cat1 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's  Cat2 Places-->Salcott & Virley

Salcott - from Kelly's Directory 1894

SALCOTT (or Salcot Wigborough) is a village and parish, on the Salcot Creek, which is navigable, 7 miles south-east from Kelvedon railway station on the main line of the Great Eastern railway, 11 east from Witham, 9 north-east from Maldon, and 8 ½ south-south-west from Colchester, in the North Eastern division of the county, Winstee hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester county court district, and in the rural deanery of Mersea, archdeaconry of Colchester and diocese of St Albans. The church of St. Mary, situated near the creek which divides this place from Virley, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell : the church was restored in 1893, at a cost of about £1,400, and has sittings for 150 persons. A devise of land, the rent of which amounts to £8 yearly, was made many years ago for the expense of the church. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1813; marriages, 1837; and burials, 1813.

The living is a rectory, united in 1879 to Virley or Salcott Virley, average tithe rent-charge £171, with 72 acres of glebe, in the gift of William Coxwell esq. Col. Gordon Watson, Wm. Hall esq. and Sir William Neville Abdy bart. alternately, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Musselwhite. A fair for pedlery is held on September 4th. Salcott appertains to the adjoining manors of Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Abbot's Hall and Barn Hall. The land is held by small owners. The soil is heavy; sub-soil loam. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is 274 acres of land, of which part is salt marsh; rateable value, £391; the population in 1891 was 217.

Parish Clerk, John Boley
Post Office - Mrs Wm. Rice, sub-postmistress. Letters through Kelvedon arrive at 9.30am; dispatched at 5.30pm. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Tolleshunt D'Arcy.
Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
National School (mixed), built in 1867, for 80 children; average attendance, 49; Jael Everitt mistress

Brett Elizabeth Miss, farmer
Lawrence William, shopkeeper
Smith William Henry Mrs, farmer
Thompson Arthur, Rising Sun PH

More Salcott History.


Date: 1894      

Photo: Mersea Museum
Image ID KEL_1894_004
Category 1 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's
Category 2 Places-->Salcott & Virley


    Top

This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.