Search for Image ID ""

 Beach at the bottom of Seaview Avenue. The house on the right is Shameen, later Brazil House.

Postcard thought to be by Hammond, which would date it around 1911.

1979 Charleston Court was built on the site of Brazil House - papers in the Deeds show that Brazil House was sold 30 July 1947 by Frank Oscar Hutton of Birch, to Mrs Richardson of Ransomes Farm, Peldon.

Brazil House later ...
Cat1 Mersea-->Beach Cat2 Mersea-->Buildings

Beach at the bottom of Seaview Avenue. The house on the right is Shameen, later Brazil House.
Postcard thought to be by Hammond, which would date it around 1911.
1979 Charleston Court was built on the site of Brazil House - papers in the Deeds show that Brazil House was sold 30 July 1947 by Frank Oscar Hutton of Birch, to Mrs Richardson of Ransomes Farm, Peldon.
Brazil House later became the Beach Club and then the Two Tides public house, owned by Charles Brown.

This "Shameen" is the one built for Sir Jesse Herbert between 1903 and 1911 - we have not got a firm date but the map of the Fairhaven Estate Development for 1911 shows all the plots on that side of Sea View Avenue from the beach to Osborne Road as being owned by Sir Jesse Herbert. To confuse us, the house was later renamed Brazil House and the new "Shameen" built behind it, using most of the large plot. Frank Hutton the builder lived there. That "Shameen" was eventually demolished and is now the site of Westwood Drive.

Sir Jesse Herbert was in China around 1890. Foreigners were not allowed to live in the city and were consigned to a large island in the river called Shameen. Sir Jesse Herbert then used this name for both his main house in Harrow on the Hill and his 'country' house on Mersea.
Date: c1911      


Photo: Mersea Museum - Hardy Weaver Collection
Image ID MMC_P755_137
Category 1 Mersea-->Beach
Category 2 Mersea-->Buildings


    Top

This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.