West Mersea, 1086 Domesday Book entry
Bocking Hall, West Mersea
The Bocking entry begins: 'S[ancta] T[rinitas] [Holy Trinity] has always held Bocking as a manor for 4 and a
half hides.' It had been granted to what later became Christ Church, Canterbury, by the Anglo-Saxon thegn,
Aethelric, and included 2 hides on the northern shore of Mersea Island.
These are listed in lines 4-6 of this entry, beginning 'Huic manerio', and translated as:
'To this manor have always belonged 2 hides in [West] Mersea. 1 plough in lordship.
1 men's plough. 2 villans; 1 bordars; Pasture for 50 sheep.
In total, value then [pre 1066] £24; now  £28.'
Transcription from Sue Howlett