Search for Image ID ""Image 1

 West Mersea Post Office in Yorick Road, now Barclays Bank. Ashton Turner, postmaster. 

Photograph by Cleghorn, Mersea Isle, September 1911.





Ashton Turner is seen here outside the Post Office in Yorick Road. The ladies are thought to be his second wife, Kitty née French, and her two sisters, Mildred and Nettie who worked at the Post Office. The first telephone exchange ...
Cat1 Mersea-->Shops & Businesses

West Mersea Post Office in Yorick Road, now Barclays Bank. Ashton Turner, postmaster.
Photograph by Cleghorn, Mersea Isle, September 1911.

Ashton Turner is seen here outside the Post Office in Yorick Road. The ladies are thought to be his second wife, Kitty née French, and her two sisters, Mildred and Nettie who worked at the Post Office. The first telephone exchange was installed at the rear of this building. The automatic exchange was built in Lower Kingsland Road and became operational in March 1967. Note the village pump on the right.

Used in "Isle of Mersea" by Brian Jay photo no.86


Date: September 1911.      

Photo: Mersea Museum - Peter Rudlin Collection
Image ID RUD_MIS_023
Category 1 Mersea-->Shops & Businesses


    Top

This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.