Search for Image ID "WHI_1848_161"

 White's Directory 1848 Page 161. West Mersea contd. Peldon.

For a transcription of the Mersea Island pages, see  ...
Cat1 Books-->Mersea Guides-->White's Cat2 Places-->Peldon

White's Directory 1848 Page 161. West Mersea contd. Peldon.

For a transcription of the Mersea Island pages, see WHI_1848_MER

Peldon, 6 miles S. by W. of Colchester, is a village and parish containing 493 souls and 2182A of land, mostly on a bold acclivity, but descending southward to the low salt marshes, near Mersea Island, over which the church commands a view of the ocean. The manor was grated by William the Conqueror, in 1086 to William the Deacon, towards rebuilding St, Paul's Cathedral. Henry VIII granted it to Sir Thomas Darcy, and it afterwards passed to the Reynolds, Powell and other families. The Countess Waldegrave is now lady of the manor, but the greater part of the soil belongs to J. Pledger, J. Bawtree, J. Mann, C. Oldfield, T. Taylor, S.E. Bean, and several smaller owners. The rectory is a small manor, and part of the copyholds are subject to certain and the rest to arbitrary fines. The Church (Virgin Mary,) is an ancient structure of perpendicular architecture, except the chancel, which was rebuilt by the present rector, in the early English style. The east window is enriched with stained glass, given by the late Mrs Griggs; and at the west end is a fine embattled tower. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16. 15s 10d., and in 1831 at £508 has a good residence, and 26A. 1R. 28p. of glebe. It is in the patronage of the Countess Waldegrave, and incumbency of the Rev. John Palmer, M.A., of London. The tithes have been commuted for £575 per annum. A fair is held in the village on Michaelmas day, and here is a National School. In 1613, John Comyn gave a yearly rent-charge of £6, in equal shares for the poor of Peldon and West Mersea, out of a farm of 20A., called the Moor. The Church Lands, 5A. 1R., is let for £16. 12s., but the parish has no deeds relating to it.

Atkinson Rev. Jonathan., B.A. curate, Rectory
Bartholomew Jerimiah, vict. Plough
Cook John, smith and wheelwright
Cooper Henry, baker and shopkeeper
Diby Joseph, corn miller
Hance William, shopkeeper
Harrison Deborah (and Jas.) blacksmith
Lappage William, thatcher and vict. Rose
Pooley John, shoemaker and parish clerk
Stammers Miss, National School
Theobald John, shoemaker
Went John, cow leech
Wright John, beerhouse and shopkeeper
Bawtree John
Bean Samuel Edward -Hall
Blomfield Samuel
Chignell John
Hance Sarah
Harvey Joseph
Harvey Martin
Harvey Stephen
Partridge Robert
Peachey James
Smith Robert - Lodge
Taylor Thomas
Thorrington Sarah
Tiffin Charles
Turnage Alex
Waller Stephen Junior
Woodward Henry
Post from Colchester and Carrier - daily

Date: 1848      

Image ID WHI_1848_161
Category 1 Books-->Mersea Guides-->White's
Category 2 Places-->Peldon


This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.