HAWKES BAY / PORT NAPIER / MARTAND / MARTANO / MAR BIANCO Length 508ft x beam 61.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 750-steerage class passengers. Launched on 27th Sep.1912 by Workman, Clark & Co., Belfast (Yard No.313) for Tyser Line, London, she started her maiden voyage in Jan.1913 from London to Sydney. In Jan.1914 she was transferred to ownership of the newly formed Commonwealth & Dominion Line (Port Line) and was used for trooping on the homeward voyages. Apr.1916 renamed PORT NAPIER. 1932 laid up in the River Blackwater and 1936 transferred within the group to T & J. Brocklebank, Liverpool and renamed MARTAND. 1938 sold to A. Zanchi, Genoa, renamed MARTANO and later the same year became the MAR BIANCO. Sep.1943 taken over by Germans after the Italian capitulation and on 7th Dec.1943 was bombed and sunk by Allied aircraft in the Adriatic off Zara while employed as a German army supply ship to Yugoslavia.
Dates from Oyster Company ledger. No clear departure date found between 16 June 1932 and 7 June 1933, but possibly 26 November 1932, recorded as "Swivel".
- 17 September 1934 Hire of lighter.