"Haven of Rest" by Douglas Gurton reports that the handsome DUNVEGAN CASTLE "closely followed GORDON CASTLE" which arrived 31 May 1922.
See DJG_SHP Scrapped 1924
Union Castle Line
Above: Off Tollesbury Pier with Steam Yacht CALA MARA in the foreground. The passenger ship behind her on the right is thought to be the Union Castle liner DUNVEGAN CASTLE.
William William Frost of Tollesbury was captain of CALA MARA and the owner was Sir Richard Cooper. She was one of the larger yachts to have berthed in Woodrolfe Creek [Tollesbury to the Year 2000].
CALA MARA Steam yacht built Vickers, Barrow, 1898. 216 tons gross. Official No. 99942. Ex SEANYMPH, ex JEANNETTE.... Date: c1923. Source: Mersea Museum / Peter Bibby Collection
Above: Birds Eye View, Tollesbury. Mell Lane? Postcard 96180 written 12 July 1937.
Laid up ships in the River Blackater - the ship on the right is thought to be DUNVEGAN CASTLE which arrived in the River June 1922 and was scrapped 1924. Date: c1923. Source: Mersea Museum / Cedric Gurton Postcards