Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      HYALINA
Arrived:20 Jan 1958
Departed:16 Feb 1961
Career:HYALINA was the third of a trio of 18 knot turbo-electric tankers ordered during WW2 to carry petroleum across the Atlantic. They were not needed for their original purpose. The first ship was originally HYALINA, but was taken over by the Admiralty as the OLNA for use in the Pacific. The second ship was the HELICINA. The third ship, when delivered, became the HYALINA.

HYALINA sailed for scrapping 16 Feb 1961
Oyster Company ledger only recorded payment is 4 wks 4 days compensation 1 February 1958.

The HYALINA still had a full crew on board while laid up - see Laid up Shell Tankers .

Tonnage:12,267 gross
Built:1948
Type:Tanker
Owner:Shell Tankers
Official No:181843
ID1181843

Shell tanker HYALINA laid up in the River Blackwater. The goliath crane at Bradwell Power Station is behind her stern.
HYALINA was in the river 20 Jan 1958 to 16 Feb 1961. Date: c1959.

Above:  Shell tanker HYALINA laid up in the River Blackwater. The goliath crane at Bradwell Power Station is behind her stern. HYALINA was in the river 20 Jan 1958 to 16 Feb 1961. Date: c1959.
Source: Brian Jay Collection

Shell tankers laid up in the River Blackwater. HELICINA on the left, HYALINA on the right. Date: 1959.

Above:  Shell tankers laid up in the River Blackwater. HELICINA on the left, HYALINA on the right. Date: 1959.
Source: Mersea Museum / David Boddington Collection


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019

";