Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      BOUTRY
Arrived:21 February 1931
Departed:Before 17 August 1931
Arrived 2:21 December 1932
Departed 2:Before 6 February 1934
Career:World War 1 "B" type steamship built for the Shipping Controller as WAR GULL and completed for Elder, Dempster & Co.Ltd. as BOUTRY. In 1920 she transferred to the African Steam Ship Co. She was laid up on the Blackwater River in 1931, being sold to the Greeks in 1933 and renamed MOUNT RHODOPE. She survived the War, renamed CAPTAIN GIORGIS in 1957. Broken up Piraeus 20 Jun4 1960.
Dated from Oyster Company ledger.
- 30 December 1933 owner now Rethymnis & Kulukundis.
- 23 February 1934 putting chronometer on board. [This is the last entry for BOUTRY in the ledger].
Voyage Record Card: BOUTRY Arrived 21 December 1932 from Plymouth (No subsequent movements reported)

Western Morning News of 21 Feb 1931 reported BOUTRY sailed Plymouth 20-02-31
Western Morning News of 21 Feb 1931 reported BOUTRY passed Dungeness 20-02-31 for Tollesbury
Dundee Courier of 20 Aug 1931 reported BOUTRY arrived Methil 17-08-31 from Warrenpoint but in same paragraph reports again as from Ghent
Shields Daily News of 22 Nov 1933 reported sale of BOUTRY to Rethymnis & Kulukundis
Shields Daily News of 06 Feb 1934 reported MOUNT RHODOPE is undergoing repairs afloat at Middle Docks & Engineering Co (South Shields)
Shields Daily News of 7 Feb 1934 reported MOUNT RHODOPE sailed from River Tyne on 07-02-34 for Buenos Aires

"Haven of Rest" by Douglas Gurton lists the vessel but has no further info. See DJG_SHP

Tonnage:5,182 gross
Built:1919
Type:Cargo ship
Owner:Elder Dempster
Official No:143295
ID1143295

Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019

";