Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      SAN VERONICO
Arrived:9 December 1961
Departed:Before 22 February 1964
Career:Former Eagle Oil tanker, taken over by Shell. The large goalposts show she was built during the war, equipped for refuelling at sea. This is thought to be the only former Eagle Oil tanker with the large kingpost in front of the aft accommodation.
Scrapped Hamburg 22 Feb 1964.
Oyster Company ledger first entry 30 December 1961 compensation 3 weeks. Last entry 25 May 1963 (end of this ledger).
Tonnage:8,189 gross
Built:1942
Type:Tanker
Owner:Shell Tankers
Official No:168369
ID1168369

Looking towards the Tollesbury shore. Ships laid up in the River Blackwater in the icy winter of 1963. The boats from Mersea were unable to get out to the ships and the watchmen had to be supplied by helicopter. The nearest ship is thought to be the SAN VERONICO as she is the only one of the former Eagle Oil tankers with the large kingpost in front of the aft accommodation.

A cropped version of this photograph was in Essex County Standard 1 February 1963 Date: 1 February 1963.

Above:  Looking towards the Tollesbury shore. Ships laid up in the River Blackwater in the icy winter of 1963. The boats from Mersea were unable to get out to the ships and the watchmen had to be supplied by helicopter. The nearest ship is thought to be the SAN VERONICO as she is the only one of the former Eagle Oil tankers with the large kingpost in front of the aft accommodation. A cropped version of this photograph was in Essex County Standard 1 February 1963 Date: 1 February 1963.
Source: Mersea Museum / Ashley Upsher Collection


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2017

";