Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships

Ship:      EMPIRE TAW
Departed:Before 10 July 1946
Career:c1946 had been laid up in the River Blackwater for about a year, and is recorded as being at London 10 July 1946. She was reactivated and then spent about a year helping recover the P.L.U.T.O. pipelines.
See for more information.
Built as coastal passenger ship LONDON for Dundee, Perth and London Shipping Company. Renamed HMS HOLDFAST in 1939 and in 1942 she was converted to a cable layer. 1944 involved in laying PLUTO pipeline. Renamed EMPIRE TAW in 1946. Broken up Passage West September 1952.
There is a photograph of EMPIRE TAW in Sea Breezes March 2012.
There is no mention of EMPIRE TAW in the Oyster Company ledger.
Tonnage:1,205 gross
Type:Cable ship
Official No:144702

Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2018