Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      PHILOCTETES
Arrived:26 June 1946
Departed:6 April 1948
Career:Built 1922 for Blue Funnel Line. Purchased by Admiralty 1940 and converted to Destroyer Depot Ship. Mounted four 4 inch A.A. guns fore and aft. Based at Freetown 1942-1945.
Laid up in River Blackwater, no longer required by Admiralty. Fred Pullen was the watchman on board.
7 April 1947 noted in the river by Jeff Curtiss.
12 March 1948 transferred to British Iron and Steel Corporation for scrapping.
Scrapped Newport 21 Nov 1948.
From Oyster Company ledger:
- 27 July 1946 Compensation 4 wks 6 days, Ministry of Transport.
- 6 April 1948 Compensation 2 wks 3 days, British Iron & Steel Corp.
Tonnage:11,446 gross
Built:1922
Type:Naval support ship
Official No:145969
ID1145969

A distant view of the PHILOCTETES laid up in the River Blackwater c1947. She is the left-most of the two vessels in the river. The ketch BLACK FOX can be seen on the edge of the houseboats. Date: Before April 1947.

Above:  A distant view of the PHILOCTETES laid up in the River Blackwater c1947. She is the left-most of the two vessels in the river. The ketch BLACK FOX can be seen on the edge of the houseboats. Date: Before April 1947.
Source: Ron Green Collection

Part of a postcard of West Mersea beach. PHILOCTETES is on the right. Date: c1947.

Above:  Part of a postcard of West Mersea beach. PHILOCTETES is on the right. Date: c1947.
Source: Brian Jay Collection


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2017

";