181. Private Arthur David 'Dash' Pullen, 10th Battalion, Essex Regiment.
The back of the card is addressed to Cliff and Kate With Love from Arthur ...
Date: 1 October 1916
Image ID PUL_WW1_001
182. The grave of Private Arthur David Pullen, MM, in Bapaume Post Military Cemetery on the Somme.
55876 Royal Welch Fusiliers. Age 24.
Private Arthur ...
Date: 23 August 1918
Image ID PUL_WW1_005
183. West Mersea News.
From The Essex Standard, West Suffolk Gazette and Eastern Counties Advertise.
PRISONER IN GERMANY - Mr and Mrs Thomas Salmon have ...
Date: 14 November 1914
Image ID RBN_WW1_007
184. Mersea Seed Growers at Bocking Hall Farm, West Mersea.
L-R Mabel Farthing [ later Mabel Benns ], ?, ?, Pullen, Pullen...
The armbands are in memory ...
Image ID RG03_006
185. Herbert Green on left, Roly Green on the right. Roland Green was Herbert Green's father and Ron Green's maternal grandfather.
January 1918 Absent Voters ...
Image ID RG03_781
186. Herbert Green, born c1898. Son of Annie and Roland Green.
January 1918 Absent Voters list shows Herbert Green living at Rose Villa and Private, 44 Airline ...
Image ID RG03_801
187. WW1 Home Guard Volunteers. Arthur Cock smoking pipe 2nd from right. Coastguard Houses in background.
Image ID RG11_251
188. Photograph was taken outside Moss Cottage, Queens Corner after the marriage of Lucy Sarah Hoy and Archibald Percy Green on 29 September 1917 at St. Peter and ...
Date: 29 September 1917
Image ID RG11_315
189. World War 1 soldiers - L-R Back. Rowland (Dick) Cook, Bert Wright.
Front Bert Cundy, Horace Whiting.
Rowland Cook was killed 3 July 1916 at the ...
Image ID RG11_347
190. The Late Cpl. Herbert W. Christmas of Great Wigborough.
Born c1895, Chelsea, London S.W.
Herbert W. Christmas was baptised William Herbert ...
Image ID RG11_351
191. World War 1 Victory Celebrations at West Mersea. Looking up High Street with Yorick Road and the butcher's on the right.
Ron says the picture came to him ...
Date: July 1919
Image ID RG19_015
192. Tom [David John] Clarry
David John Clarry was born c1888 to George and Eva Clarry [1901 Census]. David John was always known as Tom and that is the name ...
Image ID RG25_125
193. Army at Port Bower on Yorick Road during WW1. L-R Gert French, Ethel French, Billy French, Alice Hewes, Norah French (née Gant) Bert French.
Mr & ...
Image ID RG25_137
194. Hugh Smith was born 16 July 1888. At the beginning of the War, he volunteered and joined the Essex Regiment, not the Kitchener's Norfolk Regiment as reported in ...
Image ID RUD_002_017
195. Queens E2. Graylingswell War Hospital, near Chichester.
Lance Corporal Hugh Smith was in Graylingwell and is back row, third from the left.
There is a ...
Date: cAugust 1915
Image ID RUD_AB2_007
196. Tom Smith, son of Mary Overall Smith who lost his leg on the Western Front in WW1, as mentioned in Not Just a Name, page 25.
From Millie French photo ...
Image ID RUD_BK3_027
197. The first German U Boat to enter Harwich November 1918, passing up the River Stour after its surrender.
Original postcard via Don Wright, SSBR
Date: November 1918
Image ID RWS_000_045
198. World War I War Memorial in Salcott Church. The names in the centre are those that were lost in the War, and the names on either side are thought to be those ...
Date: 17 November 2018
Image ID SBC_001
199. Salcott Church. There but not there. Centenary of WW1 display.
Date: 17 November 2018
Image ID SBC_005
200. Salcott Church. 'Soldier' - part of the WW1 Centenary commemoration.
Date: 17 November 2018
Image ID SBC_007
201. Memorial in West Mersea School to those who lost their lives in WW1.
Ralph Cutts Avis
Date: 23 February 2018
Image ID SCH_WW1_001
202. Remains of Zeppelin L33, length abut 700 ft. L33 came down at Little Wigborough 24 September 1916
Date: c24 September 1916
Image ID SHB_PCD_005
203. Birch Roll of Honour
1914 - 1918
Image ID TBM_ROH_001
204. Layer Breton Roll of Honour
Image ID TBM_ROH_003
205. Thomas Charles Powell. Professional at East Mersea golf course.
July 1916, the golf club was closed for the War, and Thomas Powell was working on an East ...
Image ID TCP_003
206. Three year old Kathleen Powell with the golf club made by her father Thomas Powell. Thomas was Professional at Mersea Island Golf Club and also a club maker.
Image ID TCP_005
207. Kathleen and Jack Powell, children of Thomas Powell who was Professional at Mersea Island Golf Club. Jack was born 1913 at the Golf House, East Mersea - he is ...
Image ID TCP_007
208. War Memorials, on the North Wall of East Mersea Parish Church.
World War I
George Cudmore, Bedfords
Nathan Cudmore, R.F.A.
Bertie Wo ...
Date: 14 November 2013
Image ID TM3_5670
209. In 1916 Zeppelin L33 flew low over Mersea before it came down in Little Wigborough.
In 2016 a model of L33 is flying over the exhibits and cottage in ...
Date: 30 April 2016
Image ID TM7_0113
210. Herbert 'Joe' Farthing. 242262 Private, Sherwood Foresters.
Image ID VAL_051