31. Gunsite in Action. 1947!
The ammunition is soft drinks and ice cream; the "gun-crew" Mrs Stoker and Mrs Dawson. But the concrete walls of this unusual ...
Date: 27 June 1947
Image ID DM1_AB4_008_003
32. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of ...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
33. 1939 Blanche's Cafe at the bottom of Lower Kingland Road. Mrs Veronica Smith (née Downsworth) in front.
Image ID DOW_OPA_013
34. Blanche's cafe at the bottom of Lower Kingsland Road. Mrs Veronica Smith (née Downsworth) in front.
Image ID DOW_OPA_017
35. Shears meadow at the end of Victoria Esplanade is at last being built upon and will bring a new element into the sea front scene.
From "An Urban Dream ...
Date: 3 May 1986
Image ID ECS_1968_MAY03_032_001
36. The skeleton of a war-time pillbox on Victoria Esplanade marks the spot where Edwardian planners had envisaged a pier.
From "An Urban Dream of Mersea", ...
Date: 3 May 1968
Image ID ECS_1968_MAY03_032_003
37. On the shore at "Fair Haven". Photo Mr F. Pallett
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 2.
Image ID FAV_004_002
38. Open Air Service on the Shore. Photo F. Pallett.
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 7.
Image ID FAV_009_001
39. The Ever Restless Sea "Fair Haven" Photo Mr Bennett Charles.
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 9.
Image ID FAV_011_002
40. Another popular meeting place for lads from the 50s through to the late 60s was an area of grass between the small gunsite shop on the beach [ Searchlight Cafe ...
Image ID FL01_061_002
41. On the beach by the Searchlight Cafe.
Back 1. John 'Skidger' Green, 2. 'Chicks' Milgate, 3. David 'Mowy' Mussett
Centre 1. Graham 'Goofy' Woods, 2. ...
Image ID FL01_062_001
42. Beach Club
Back Brenda Diprose (Whiting), Sharon Lay.
Centre Colin Tucker, Stephen Farthing, Debbie Farthing, Anne Marriage, Stanley 'Bump' ...
Image ID FL03_019_001
43. MICHALAKIS on the mud near the bottom of Empress Avenue.
Beryl Milgate, Ron Pamment, Alan Pamment.
From Album 3.
Date: c14 February 1958
Image ID FL03_028_003
44. The Beach. Postcard 14398. Another copy of this card ws posted 6 July 1926
Date: Before July 1926
Image ID GEO_001_009
45. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_001
46. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_003
47. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_005
48. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_007
49. Girl Guides West Mersea Cooking & Camp Fire.
Image ID GG04_006_009
50. Land Army girls with Alexandra Family at the bottom of Fairhaven Avenue. Fairhaven Cafe in the background.
Image ID GRD_LAN_019
51. Fairhaven Cafe and chalets, all demolished 1971 to build Fairhaven Court.
Image ID GSM_OPA_047
52. Beach Huts after the 1953 Floods. Between Fairhaven and Seaview Avenue.
Date: cFebruary 1953
Image ID HAD01_003
53. Alice Hewes, Robert and Betty at West Mersea.
Image ID HAY_HEW_106
54. Alice Hewes, Gill, Rob at West Mersea
Image ID HAY_HEW_108
55. George Pullen & Chum. Kingsland Beach.
Image ID HAY_PUG_040
56. Looking East East Mersea.
Farthings delivering the milk to chalets at Coopers Beach.
Image ID HH06_101
57. Cooper's Beach
Image ID HHD_CPB_001
58. Cooper's Beach
Image ID HHD_CPB_013
59. Cliffs at Cooper's Beach
Image ID HHD_CPB_019
60. Monkey steps and Monkey beach. Near St. Peter's Well. Laid up ships in the river. Pre-WW2
Image ID HWC_AB1_009