1. West Mersea Mill - Fred G. Smith. A wonderful photograph of the old and the new. Stanley Mole on the left holding the horse and Herbert Marrow far right with ...
Image ID ALS_C20_005
2. Frederick Herbert Smith and Herbert Marrow with Fred G. Smith delivery van. It is a Morris, registration BVW367. The door advertises Lyons Cakes. Phone Number ...
Image ID ALS_C20_019
3. A school trip from West Mersea to London Zoo, July 1920. Primrose Bus. Headmaster Mr Green is standing on the stairs wearing a black trilby. Note the ...
Date: 19 July 1920
Image ID ALS_WHI_013
4. 1953 Fred Smith delivering bread!
Image ID ATK_013
5. Steam lorry built by A.W. Berry for Colchester Brewing Company. Registration F536. Built 1902-03 [ Modern Transport, 27 February 1937 ]
Image ID AWB_FLT_001
6. Some of Berry's fleet. Bus F9245, lorry LN3317 (with A.W. Berry to its right ?), CD710, A6653 and F..453.
Image ID AWB_FLT_021
7. Berry Motor Omnibus Service bus HK908. Wells, 30 hp Dorman Engine, acquired November 1915.
Image ID AWB_FLT_027
8. A.W. Berry. Charabanc HK7215. Dennis 40hp 29 seat charabanc, acquired March 1920.
Image ID AWB_FLT_033
9. A.W. Berry Works Outing.
Notes from Brenda Stacey: AWB far left, Stan far right, Herb driving. The man behind Herb is his father-in-law, Edward May. He ...
Date: cJuly 1922
Image ID AWB_FLT_041
10. Berry's Motor Omnibus Service. Colchester & District. Colchester 102.
Double decker LC7804.
Image ID AWB_FLT_045
11. A new AEC bus. No registration plates. Photograph is in Berry Family papers so probably the bus was to join their fleet.
Image ID AWB_FLT_051
12. AEC Regal HX4358 outside Berry's works in Colchester. HX4358 acquired June 1931. Park Royal body ex AEC demonstrator.
A.W. Berry were running horse drawn ...
Date: cJune 1931
Image ID AWB_FLT_053
13. Brightlingsea, Essex. In the early morning sprats are unloaded from the smacks, in casks, rowed ashore and then conveyed by lorry to the markets. Norfolk's ...
Date: After August 1934
Image ID BOXD_001_001_001
14. The Square and Church, Tollesbury. Postcard from Bell's No. 2067.
Osborne's Bedford Duple buses HG5343 and GVW591.
HG 5343 was bought second-hand January ...
Image ID CG10_015
15. The Cycle Stores, Tollesbury.
Taken in 1914, when George Fisher the owner, sold perambulators, accessories, cycles, motorcycles and petrol, as well as ...
Image ID CG10_413
16. FASHODA, when the train first ran to Tollesbury. Postcard, not mailed.
The opening of the Tollesbury Railway - locomotive is FASHODA.
An Essex County ...
Date: 23 May 1904
Image ID CG17_001
17. Waiting for the train at Tollesbury. Postcard by T. Hammond, Great Totham, not mailed.
Used in Tollesbury Past, photo 37.
Image ID CG17_009
18. Tollesbury Pier Station. Postcard mailed 13 April 1905.
Date: October 1904
Image ID CG17_023
19. Station and waterworks, Tollesbury. Postcard by H.S. White, High Street, Tollesbury, not mailed.
The water tower was erected in 1914.
Date: After 1914
Image ID CG17_027
20. Railway - Looking towards the Pier, Tollesbury. Postcard 126388, not mailed.
Image ID CG17_031
21. Station Road, Tollesbury. Dated as 1951 by D.J. Gurton, but the loco is LNER 7161. This J67 was renumber 8608 September 1946 and renumbered again to 68608 ...
Date: Before September 1946
Image ID CG17_047
22. The Square, Tollesbury. Osborne's bus waiting with a Witham service, JVX806, a Bedford with a Duple wartime utility body, including wooden slatted seats. JVX ...
Image ID CG2_045
23. G.W. Osborne proudly sits in his new horse drawn carrier cart which had full length seats each side for potential passengers.
Caption from back of ...
Date: Before 1919
Image ID CG3_025
24. Carnival procession in Barfield Road. The left lorry is Austin KNO204 - the board on the radiator is Mersea Island British Legion Branch. On the side it ...
Image ID CMW_VAR_005
25. West Mersea School, with one of Berry's buses going up Barfield Road.
Owen Fletcher wrote:
"According to my mother, the gate to the left in the school ...
Image ID CW3_015
26. Great Eastern Railway bus outside West Mersea Church. Another copy of this postcard was mailed July 1908.
Date: Before July 1908
Image ID CW5_057
27. Eastern National bus going through the water at the Strood, in the days when bus services were not curtailed by the high tide. Ford Anglia Estate behind it ?
Image ID DBO_013
28. Eastern National bus in the ditch near Bonners Barn. She had been blown over by the wind. XHK23... [Bristol VR fleet number 3127 XHK232X]
Date: 25 January 1990
Image ID DBO_111
29. Digby's 1926 Austin Chummy TW6307. It was used to deliver paraffin on the island for many years, and dropped out of use in the late 1940s. When Digby's closed ...
Image ID DCR_001_001
30. Digby's 1926 Austin Chummy TW6307, restored by David O'Connor. The car returned to Mersea as a special guest for the 2015 Lions Transport Show on 8 August 2015.
Image ID DCR_031