91. Nurses and soldiers - at Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton ?
Image ID DW14_021
92. WW1 Army Lorry. L18..
Image ID DW14_023
93. WW1 wounded soldiers and nurses in a trench. The story behind this is not known. At Middlesex Military War Hospital, Clacton ?
Image ID DW14_025
94. Pressented by "The Kaiser" 12th Sep 1915.
Date: 12 September 1915
Image ID DW14_027
95. Brightlingsea Nov. 1918. Armistice Parade ?
Date: November 1918
Image ID DW14_029
96. Souvenir de Salonique [Salonica in Greece]
Image ID DW14_031
97. Robert Appleton Account book. Summer Work 1916.
6 July 1916 Robert went to Whitehall and got a berth as mate of 'Tug Alice' for Malta. 7 July left for ...
Date: 6 July 1916
Image ID DWS_APQ_017
98. One of the gondolas of Zeppelin L33 which came down on Little Wigborough September 1916. A portion of the superstructure has been cut away: originally it ...
Date: c24 September 1916
Image ID EAM_1953_003_P285_001
99. East Mersea Post - Army Duty Roster. 16 December 1916 to 19 December 1916.
9.45pm Sentry reported fire about 400 yds. On investigation it proved to be a ...
Date: 17 December 1916
Image ID EMB_005
100. Army at Port Bower on Yorick Road during WW1. L-R Gert French, Ethel French, Billy French, Alice Hewes, Norah French (née Gant) Bert French.
Mr & ...
Image ID FL02_046_002
101. "Wartime" 1917 Mersea Isle. Snuffy Cornelius's cycle shop on Kingsland Road, now RST Motors.
Frank Cornelius, Mabel Tiffin (lived over the road in what in ...
Image ID FL02_058_001
102. Ernie Mussett, 1919, Iraq. He worked for Appleby the Mersea butcher.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_025_001
103. Mr Henry Pullen, brother of Mrs Tom 'Boss' Mole. Killed in action 1914/18 War.
Henry William Pullen was born 1877, son of Henry William and Julia ...
Image ID FL05_028_003
104. Mersea Seed Growers in WW1, outside Bocking Hall.
L-R 1. Lucy Hoy, 2., 3. Tot Green née Hewes (Heck's mother), 4. ?, 5. Mable Benns, 6., ...
Image ID FL10_029_001
105. Mr Fred Sales, father of Reg, Tom, Alfred, Walter and Doris. Fred was a farrier on the Island.
From Album 10.
Image ID FL10_043_001
106. Tom Marriage 26 June 1896 to 5 May 1896.
Wounded Arras April 3rd 1917. Left leg amputated 19th April. Died May 5th 1917.
Laid to rest May 6th in the ...
Image ID GCL_TMA_001
107. Albert Arthur Lee, Private 85813, Machine Gun Corps.
Enlisted Colchester 11 May 1916
Wounded at Ypres and discharged from Army 8 April 1916
Date: cMay 1916
Image ID GGL_001
108. In Memory of Sergeant George Walter Hewes.
515, 54th Bn, Australian Infantry, A.I.F., who died on 20 July 1916.
Remembered with Honour ...
Date: 20 July 1916
Image ID GWH_ROH_004
109. Another Ripley Territorial Killed. Pte Edward Parkin killed in action 5 October 1918. His wife resides in Essex, the parties being married whilst Parkin was in ...
Date: 5 October 1918
Image ID HAN_RUS_011
110. One is George Penny.
Image ID HAY_CHUM_060
111. Lance Corporal A.R. Hewes, of the Essex Regiment (a native of Mersea) has been wounded in the recent fighting in France and is now in the London General ...
Image ID HAY_CHUM_080
112. Chum Hewes arrowed. Essex County Telegraph 22 July 1916.
Date: 22 July 1916
Image ID HAY_CHUM_086
113. Chum Hewes - with the cross above his head. 1918 ish.
Image ID HAY_CHUM_090
114. Unknown heroes
Image ID HAY_CHUM_094
115. Pullen family.
Image ID HAY_PUL_040
116. Barge TINTARA. Official No. 102817.
TINTARA was interned at Remagen on the Rhine during WW1.
She was crewed by the Norton family from Brightlingsea. The ...
Date: 13 June 1936
Image ID HBC_009_003
117. William and George Hoy. William on the left was on his last leave and was killed in action 17 February 1917. The back of the postcard is addressed to Ivy Hoy, ...
Date: 24 September 1916
Image ID HH04_HOY_001
118. From loving brother Willie to Lucy [ written on back of photograph ]
William Hoy was killed 17 February 1917 at the Battle of the Somme.
Image ID HH04_HOY_003
119. Lucy and Ivy Hoy in the Land Army in World War 1, and on the horse is their father Henry (Harry) Hoy.
Image ID HH06_301
120. Sailors home on leave during WW1, at Haycock's Farm. Henry Hoy on the left. Archibald Percy Green on the horse. He was killed 18 October 1918 when HMS INDUSTRY ...
Image ID HH06_303