1. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea fisherman Pat Mead, at the Hythe, Colchester, en route to Mersea.
Image ID IA003410
2. AEC Regal HX4358 outside Berry's works in Colchester. HX4358 acquired June 1931. Park Royal body ex AEC demonstrator.
A.W. Berry were running horse drawn...
Date: cJune 1931
Image ID AWB_FLT_053
3. Revival of straw trade. Stackies being towed down Colchester River in 'convoy', bound for the Kent paper mills. The left hand barge is BRITISH EMPIRE registered...
Image ID BF03_002_003_002
4. Barges in the snow at Colchester Hythe. Ice on the river - the view is down the Colne from Hythe Bridge. The barge nearest is FLEUR DE LIS and on the opposite...
Image ID BF68_001_129_002
5. Barges at Colchester Hythe. [DW]
Douglas Went saw the Indian summer of the sailing barge and this photograph of Colchester Hythe in the 1930s shows nine...
Image ID BOXB5_012_011
6. Danish schooner NEPTUN loaded with ice from Norway to Colchester. Thence, in ballast, to St. Johns, Newfoundland, for cargo of fish. 40 day voyage probably....
Image ID BOXL_051_001_001
7. Everard's SEDULITY unloading coal at Colchester Gas Works. A photograph taken from the top of the gasometer by Colin Hoare, who was Mate on her at the...
Image ID CLH_001
8. Turkeys for sale at Hearsum's fish shop in Crouch Street, Colchester. Thought to be a pre-WW2 photograph - Leslie Boddington worked there.
There is a 2008...
Date: Before 1940
Image ID DBO_207
9. Barge DAWN at Colchester Hythe c1901. Charles and Daniel Hales, the local hufflers, are walking and hauling on a light line made fast to the mast.
Image ID HBC_004_002
10. Hervey Benham talking to barge skipper at Colchester Hythe. Probably barge VERONICA. The barge skipper is thought to be Jack Nunn.
Moler Works in...
Date: Before 1956
Image ID HBC_004_006
11. Barge VENTA at Colchester Hythe. Photo marked non-copyright and addressed to Hervey Benham, HMS Vernon, Portsmouth.
Hervey sailed as Mate on the VENTA at...
Image ID HBC_009_026
12. WILL EVERARD at Colchester Hythe.
Date: June 1948
Image ID HBC_013_010
13. Postcard of Colchester Hythe before 1908. Barges ESTHER (one of at least 3), Marriages LANDRAIL (stern), Owen Parry's VERA and steamship GEM Official No. 81975.
Date: Before 1908
Image ID HBC_018_003
14. GILLATION at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. Built 1964 by London and Rochester Trading, at Strood.
Image ID SHP_STC_602
15. Jack Botham aerial photograph 3707. Colchester looking west with St Botolph's Church and St Botolph's Station just above centre. St. John's Abbey Gate centre...
Image ID JBA_850
16. Mersea buses in Stanwell Street, Colchester. Herbert Green on left. Bob Woodward leaning on radiator.
Ron Green writes: Those buses were not fast by...
Image ID MMC_P21_E
17. Colchester Hythe. BRITISH EMPIRE loading straw. Nearest barge is the ALARIC.
Image ID PA1_RG1_AB05_RON257
18. Barge MAID OF THE MILL at East Mills, Colchester.
Image ID RG010008
19. Owen Parry Ltd., Oil Mills, Colchester. Postcard dated 29 December 1905 with prices for "Parry" Linseed Cakes and "Parry" Cotton Cakes on the back.
Date: Before December 1905
Image ID RG03_641
20. Back of postcard from Owen Parry Ltd, Oil Mills, Colchester. See ...
Date: Before December 1905
Image ID RG03_642
21. Unrigged barge LEOFLEDA at East Mills, Colchester. The barge was owned by Marriages - who owned the mills.
Image ID RG04_011
22. Colchester Hythe. A coaster on the left, several barges beyond. View looking upstream towards Hythe Bridge.
The vessel on the left is unidentified. It...
Image ID RG06_077
23. Colchester Hythe - view from Hythe Bridge. Sailing barges ESTHER, LANDRAIL and VERA. Steamship GEM.
GEM Official No. 81975, registered Colchester, 1881....
Date: Before August 1907
Image ID RG06_087
24. St John Street, Colchester. Postcard mailed 31 December 1910.
Date: Before December 1910
Image ID RG11_375
25. ANDESCOL at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. Built 1961 Hoogezand. Registered Colchester. In London & Rochester colours.
Image ID SHP_STC_604
26. BANDICK loading grain at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. Beyond her, extreme left, is the COLNE DREDGER.
Image ID SHP_STC_608
27. TRILBY (left) and BRANDRAM at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s.
TRILBY was built Rochester in 1896 as a sailing barge. Official No. 106527. Like several of...
Image ID SHP_STC_610
28. LODELLA at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. IMO No. 7039555, built 1970 and owned by London & Rochester Trading Company. The barge astern is thought to be...
Image ID SHP_STC_624
29. MAGUDA at Colchester Hythe in the 1970s. IMO 5217232, built 1959 Hoogezand, 220 tons gross.
When Francis & Gilders of Colchester, London & Rochester...
Image ID SHP_STC_626
30. MARY WESTON at Colchester Hythe, date unknown. IMO No. 7328138.
Image ID SHP_STC_630