1. Taken near the beginning of last century, from Church Road.
The only building in Coast Road is the pair of weatherboard cottages opposite St Peter's Well....
Image ID AA000000
2. West Mersea Fire Brigade's team of five who won the Essex County Brigade's quiz for Retained Firemen in Chelmsford.
L-R Gordon Allen, Alec Garnham, Joe...
Date: 17 February 1958
Image ID ALN_FIR_015
3. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with new Dodge 758JNO. Outside the Melrose Road Fire Station.
L-R 1. Oscar...
Date: April 1957
Image ID ALN_JNO_003
4. Frederick Herbert Smith and Herbert Marrow with Fred G. Smith delivery van. It is a Morris, registration BVW367. The door advertises Lyons Cakes. Phone Number...
Image ID ALS_C20_019
5. The mill in Mill Road, West Mersea.
Image ID ALS_WHI_051
6. Peter Moss Mussett, born on 6 December 1878 at West Mersea, his mother was Caroline Mussett (born 1856 - died 1937) no father's name for Peter's birth...
Image ID ANC_001
7. Leonard Trim 1925-1965
Image ID ATR_TRM_101
8. 1958 - 1959 West Mersea School Concert at the British Legion.
L-R Susan Fahie, Carol Wignall, Marina Hewes, Sarah Vince, Judy Farthing, Sheila Slowgrove,...
Image ID AWA_061
9. The staff of Gowen & Company sail loft at West Mersea, about 1920. L to R Charlie Woods, A.A. Gowen, Kenneth A.L. Gowen, Miss Gertie French (Mrs Stanley...
Image ID BOXD_012_001_001
10. East Mersea Ferryman - Mr Horatio Mole of East Mersea who will shortly complete half a century of service as ferryman at East Mersea. He crosses at all times...
Image ID CMA_007
11. S.C. White, Draper and Grocer's shop. Peldon
Edgar Charles Dansie and Leonard Dansie ?
Date: Before 1916
Image ID CMW_BDG_003
12. Samuel Cant White in family group c1897.
Back row 1. May 2. Frederick 3. Clifford
Middle row 4. Grace 5. Samuel Cant 6. Katie 7. Horace
Image ID CMW_FAM_037
13. White family wedding group.
Image ID CMW_FAM_039
14. Samuel Cant White and his granddaughters Connie and Phyllis White, daughters of Horace white and Margaret Goymer.
Photograph used by Alan Smith in 'Smiths...
Image ID CMW_FAM_043
15. The Croft, Melrose Road, West Mersea. Home of Clifford White and Family.
Image ID CMW_FAM_203
16. Riverside House, West Mersea. Later 118 Coast Road.
[ In 1911 Census Riverside House was the home of William and Martha Stoker].
Image ID CMW_FAM_207
17. Funeral of John Hewes passing Griffon Garage. Clifford White (undertaker) and Rev Pierrepont-Edwards. Mr Gethen driving hearse. George 'Hoppy' Hewes, Dubby...
Date: April 1931
Image ID CMW_UTK_003
18. Bob and Kathleen Bisco. Behind are Steve Bisco and William Wilder (a friend of Mark Dixon). Carol Dixon's wedding.
Date: 25 February 1967
Image ID CW2_WED_0228A
19. Gowens at West Mersea in the early or mid 1960s.
Back row Harold Field, Claude Green, John Benns, Beat Green, Colin Anstey, John Wareing, Vic Pullen,...
Image ID DEP_GOW_003
20. Gowens sailmakers. L-R Colin Anstey, Daphne Hewes (on floor). Claude Green (behind Daphne), Stanley French, John Wareing, George Freer (on floor), Ernie Ponder,...
Image ID DEP_GOW_007
21. Gowen & Co., Mersea. Jack Gurton, Ernie Ponder, Freddy French [Nancy Smith].
Image ID DEP_GOW_021
22. Mrs Trim, mother of Dorothy Gauden [caption on back of photograph].
This is Rebecca Trim née Dale, born about 1846 in Colchester. Her parents were at...
Image ID DGD_037
23. Cis Hewes
Image ID DHA_003
24. Hewes Family.
The back of the card is addressed to Mr A. Hewes, H.M.S. Servitor R.F.A., C/O G.P.O. London.
Image ID DHA_005
25. My Grandmother Emma Hewes née Hempstead.
Image ID DHA_007
26. John Hewes.
John Hewes born Jan 1842 died 2 April 1931 married 16 Nov 1867 Emma Hempstead b 22 June 1845 d 27 Dec 1928
Image ID DHA_011
27. Burton Hewes. Card by American Galleries, Liverpool, Glasgow and Rhyl.
Samuel Burton Hewes, born c1897.
Image ID DHA_013
28. Football Team.
L-R 1. Burton Hewes, 2. Stanley French, 3. Herbert Green, 4. Ron Pullen, 5. Joe Hempstead, 6. Brassy Mussett, 7. Bob South, 8. Bunny Cook,...
Image ID DHA_015
29. Ella Hewes
7 November 1925 Ellen May Farthing (22) married Samuel Burton Hewes (28) at West Mersea Parish Church.
Image ID DHA_017
30. Mr & Mrs Alfred Hewes. Married 1916.
15 March 1916 Keturah Elizabeth French married James Alfred Hewes at West Mersea Parish Church.
Date: March 1916
Image ID DHA_021