1. Abberton Bakery. E.A. Smith on the sign dates it 1928 - 1948.
Image ID ALS_C20_001
2. 1937 Coronation Arch decorated by May Bros, Langenhoe. Pete Tye Common at the bottom of Langenhoe hill - the boundary of the parish. "Welcome to Loyal West...
Date: cMay 1937
Image ID ALS_WHI_002
3. The Zeppelin at Little Wigborough - some of the Special Constables involved in arresting the German crew.
From left, Olive Dansie (daughter of Edgar Dansie...
Date: cOctober 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_001
4. Zeppelin L33 - which crashed at Little Wigborough 24 September 1916.
Date: After 24 September 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_005
5. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea fisherman Pat Mead, at the Hythe, Colchester, en route to Mersea.
Image ID IA003410
6. Hardy's Green Rovers football team.
"Keith Taylor is holding the ball in this photo. He owned the Tollesbury dairy and delivered milk to the village...
Image ID ATR_HDY_001
7. Spratting - a photograph from Tollesbury, but no further information.
Image ID ATR_SPR_013
8. Tollesbury fisherman Harry Myall on the left - Person at the tiller not known. Smack S.W.H. 492CK
Image ID ATR_SWH_005
9. Tollesbury, 1907. A note on the back says "Taken by Thos. Adams (of Seaford ?)".
Image ID ATR_TBY_003
10. Woodrope, Tollesbury. Smack CK232 on the right. Postcard 71494, posted 23 July 1926.
Date: Before July 1926
Image ID ATR_TBY_009
11. Vicarage, Tollesbury. Postcard though to be by Hammond.
Image ID ATR_TBY_011
12. Peace celebration street party after WW2, in Station Road, Tollesbury.
The car on the left is AEV271.
Image ID ATR_TBY_013
13. Alison's grandfather, George Leonard Trim was a Tollesbury fisherman. He married Maud Sheldrick.
Image ID ATR_TRM_103
14. Tollesbury Men.
L-R 1. Stan Lewis, 2. Bill Howe, 3. C. Lewis, 4. Fred Binks, 5. Bobby Leavett (Bruin's father), 6. L. Trim (Alison's grandfather).
Image ID ATR_TRM_121
15. AEC Regal HX4358 outside Berry's works in Colchester. HX4358 acquired June 1931. Park Royal body ex AEC demonstrator.
A.W. Berry were running horse drawn...
Date: cJune 1931
Image ID AWB_FLT_053
16. Postcard of sailing barge BLACKWATER at Bradwell. Believed to be pre-1935.
The distant vessel is most likely to be CARNARVONSHIRE 9,406 grt built 1914, but...
Date: Before 1935
Image ID RG040003
17. The last berth for a pair of Thames sailing barges, in the Blackwater, just above Heybridge Basin. The nearest barge is the CHARLES BURLEY, Official No.115905,...
Date: 14 June 2009
Image ID IA003275
18. Flooding Mistley Quay
Image ID BF03_001_034_001
19. Ketch barge KATE & EMILY at Pin Mill. Official Number 415.
The Big Barges describes the KATE and EMILY as "A clumsy barge with square stern and round...
Image ID BF03_001_049_001
20. Fingringhoe. The 16th century tide mill, now clad in corrugated iron, the 19th century steam mill and the giant siloes required by the 20th century.
Image ID BF03_001_061_001
21. Tollesbury oyster dredging. Laid up ships in background.
CK53 A.B.C. [This is the smack Johnny Milgate dug out of Feldy]
From: LOCAL PHOTOS, POSTCARDS
Image ID BF03_001_104_001
22. The Colne Fishery Company had a steam dredger and inspection boat built in 1895. She is seen here with a party on board, probably for the opening of the...
Image ID BF03_001_116_001
23. The last commercial square rigger to discharge at Ipswich with the spritsail barges MAY and KIMBERLEY. Photo Arthur Bennett.
The square rigged ship is the...
From: LOCAL PHOTOS, POSTCARDS
Image ID BF03_001_121_001
24. Revival of straw trade. Stackies being towed down Colchester River in 'convoy', bound for the Kent paper mills. The left hand barge is BRITISH EMPIRE registered...
Image ID BF03_002_003_002
25. SAXONIA LO32 Leign on Sea. Used in The Stowboaters page 42.
From: Leigh on Sea
Image ID BF66_001_002_002
26. A latter-day stack barge, the VIOLET of Maldon, owned by Francis and Guilders of Colchester, towing down the Colne off Rowhedge in 1948. The hold and deck are...
Image ID BF67_001_042_001
27. John Leather at the wheel of a barge. The location
is Rowhedge Ironworks where John worked as a draughtsman and surveyor as
evident by the leather patches...
Image ID BF68_001_008_001
28. CAMBRIA unloading at Fingringhoe. She was built by the Everards at Greenhithe in 1906 and registered in London Official No. 120676.
Image ID BF68_001_030_014
29. Ships lying at Wivenhoe for repair and conversion by Rennie, Forrestt's shipyard, 1920. Smack 2CK or could be 2?CK is visible, also one of the MAINDY boats...
Image ID BF68_001_129_001
30. Barges in the snow at Colchester Hythe. Ice on the river - the view is down the Colne from Hythe Bridge. The barge nearest is FLEUR DE LIS and on the opposite...
Image ID BF68_001_129_002