1. Abberton Bakery. E.A. Smith on the sign dates it 1928 - 1948.
Image ID ALS_C20_001
2. 1937 Coronation Arch decorated by May Bros, Langenhoe. Pete Tye Common at the bottom of Langenhoe hill - the boundary of the parish. "Welcome to Loyal West...
Date: cMay 1937
Image ID ALS_WHI_002
3. The Zeppelin at Little Wigborough - some of the Special Constables involved in arresting the German crew.
From left, Olive Dansie (daughter of Edgar Dansie...
Date: cOctober 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_001
4. Zeppelin L33 - which crashed at Little Wigborough 24 September 1916.
Date: After 24 September 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_005
5. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea fisherman Pat Mead, at the Hythe, Colchester, en route to Mersea.
Image ID IA003410
6. AEC Regal HX4358 outside Berry's works in Colchester. HX4358 acquired June 1931. Park Royal body ex AEC demonstrator.
A.W. Berry were running horse drawn...
Date: cJune 1931
Image ID AWB_FLT_053
7. Postcard of sailing barge BLACKWATER at Bradwell. Believed to be pre-1935.
The distant vessel is most likely to be CARNARVONSHIRE 9,406 grt built 1914, but...
Date: Before 1935
Image ID RG040003
8. The last berth for a pair of Thames sailing barges, in the Blackwater, just above Heybridge Basin. The nearest barge is the CHARLES BURLEY, Official No.115905,...
Date: 14 June 2009
Image ID IA003275
9. X2470 MARIE SCHWINGE passing Wivenhoe
From: LOCAL PHOTOS, POSTCARDS ETC --- CARE!
Image ID BF03_001_017_001
10. Flooding Mistley Quay
Image ID BF03_001_034_001
11. Ketch barge KATE & EMILY at Pin Mill. Official Number 415.
The Big Barges describes the KATE and EMILY as "A clumsy barge with square stern and round...
Image ID BF03_001_049_001
12. Fingringhoe. The 16th century tide mill, now clad in corrugated iron, the 19th century steam mill and the giant siloes required by the 20th century.
Image ID BF03_001_061_001
13. Frozen river. Douglas Went photograph
Used in The Stowboaters page 6.
Image ID BF03_001_088_001
14. The Colne Fishery Company had a steam dredger and inspection boat built in 1895. She is seen here with a party on board, probably for the opening of the...
Image ID BF03_001_116_001
15. The last commercial square rigger to discharge at Ipswich with the spritsail barges MAY and KIMBERLEY. Photo Arthur Bennett.
The square rigged ship is the...
From: LOCAL PHOTOS, POSTCARDS
Date: July 1939
Image ID BF03_001_121_001
16. Revival of straw trade. Stackies being towed down Colchester River in 'convoy', bound for the Kent paper mills. The left hand barge is BRITISH EMPIRE registered...
Image ID BF03_002_003_002
17. High water in the Colne. A fleet of barges gets under way with the first of the ebb, bound for the Thames and Medway. This photograph was one of Douglas Went's...
Image ID BF21_001_004_001
18. SAXONIA LO32 Leign on Sea. Used in The Stowboaters page 42.
From: Leigh on Sea
Image ID BF66_001_002_002
19. Barge MAY FLOWER at Maldon. GB on the sail is Green Brothers, her owners.
Image ID BF67_001_036_002
20. A latter-day stack barge, the VIOLET of Maldon, owned by Francis and Guilders of Colchester, towing down the Colne off Rowhedge in 1948. The hold and deck are...
Image ID BF67_001_042_001
21. John Leather at the wheel of a barge. The location
is Rowhedge Ironworks where John worked as a draughtsman and surveyor as
evident by the leather patches...
Image ID BF68_001_008_001
22. Unidentified barge being rebuilt at Maldon. A negative but there is also an unscanned print of this.
"I'm pretty sure this is OAK. Cook's books show an...
Image ID BF68_001_025_003
23. CAMBRIA unloading at Fingringhoe. She was built by the Everards at Greenhithe in 1906 and registered in London Official No. 120676.
Image ID BF68_001_030_014
24. Ships lying at Wivenhoe for repair and conversion by Rennie, Forrestt's shipyard, 1920. Smack 2CK or could be 2?CK is visible, also one of the MAINDY boats...
Image ID BF68_001_129_001
25. Barges in the snow at Colchester Hythe. Ice on the river - the view is down the Colne from Hythe Bridge. The barge nearest is FLEUR DE LIS and on the opposite...
Image ID BF68_001_129_002
26. Aldous Successors Ltd catalogue. Title page.
Image ID BF69_001_002
27. Aldous Successors Ltd catalogue. Foreword.
Image ID BF69_001_003
28. Aldous Successors Ltd catalogue --- page 1
Image ID BF69_001_004
29. Aldous Successors Ltd catalogue --- page 2.
Image ID BF69_001_005
30. Aldous Successors Ltd catalogue --- page 3.
Image ID BF69_001_006