1. Salcott post office, which is perhaps everyone's idea of what a village post office is like. However, since that caption from an Essex Countryside article in...
Date: After April 1935
Image ID EC62_99_304_002
2. St. Mary's Church, Salcott. The church still has oil lamps. Photo thought to be between 1935 and 1960.
Image ID IA003720
3. Cottages by the Church, Salcott, Essex. Photo thought to be between 1935 and 1960. One of the cottages was lived in by Nancy Cullum and her mother.
Image ID IA003722
4. Cottage in Salcott where Nancy Cullum and her mother lived. Date not known but probably c1941. Pansies are growing in front of the cottage. See Farming...
Image ID IA003724
5. Salcott Church - interior.
The East Window is dedicated "To the glory of God in loving memory of Mary Elizabeth Brett who died 17 March 1895".
Image ID IA003750
6. Salcot Church
Image ID IA003752
7. The old butcher' shop that stood on the corner of The Street and
Rose Lane, Salcot. The last butcher to use this shop was Mr Ponder as far as I know. [Ron...
Image ID IA003754
8. The Old Sun Inn Salcot, 1898
Rows from the back.
1. Abraham Foakes, Will Howard, Will Francis, John Coldham, Ted Cullum, Bill Clench, Sam...
Image ID JMO_SAL_003
9. The Cross Roads, Salcott, looking east towards the village.
Image ID JMO_SAL_005
10. Salcott - the street. Ponder's butcher's shop on the right. The Sun Inn on the left in the distance. 1920s ?
Image ID JMO_SAL_007
11. The Street, Salcott. The Sun Inn on the right. 1920s ?
Image ID JMO_SAL_009
Image ID JMO_SAL_011
13. The Post Office, Salcot in the 1920s. Run by N. Hanley
Image ID JMO_SAL_021
14. Salcott School around 1900.
Image ID JMO_SCH_001
15. The former school at Salcott. The school closed 1937 - 1938 and for many years it was used as a Church Hall. By 1996 the hall was damp, in poor condition, and...
Image ID JMO_SCH_003
16. Salcott - the opening of the Village Hall in 1996.
John Moore second from the left. Revd. Keith Lovell centre behind front row.
Image ID JMO_SCH_005
17. Salcott - the former school, restored and back in use as the Village Hall.
Image ID JMO_SCH_007
18. Old barn at Virley, since demolished.
Image ID JMO_VIL_001
19. Barge EVA ANNIE loading trusses of hay from a cart at Abbotts Hall, Salcott Creek. This is not the 'ship dock' but another wharf on the creek.
Image ID KBA_BAR_001
20. Barge EVA ANNIE loading hay at Abbotts Hall, Salcott Creek. This was not the 'ship dock' but another wharf on the creek [Ray Baldwin].
Image ID KBA_BAR_003
21. Virley White Hart and Salcott Creek.
Image ID KBA_CRK_001
22. Virley White Hart and Salcott Creek.
Image ID KBA_CRK_003
23. Salcott Creek.
Image ID KBA_CRK_005
24. Virley White Hart.
Image ID KBA_CRK_013
25. View down Salcott Creek.
Image ID KBA_CRK_015
26. Cutting hay from a stack - it will be put into the press (to the left of the stack) and made into trusses for carriage. Wilfred Francis on the stack, and his...
Image ID KBA_HAY_001
27. Cutting hay from the stack on the right, and pressing into trusses using the press in the centre. The trusses are stacked on the left - lady on top is unknown...
Image ID KBA_HAY_003
28. Salcott School c1916.
Back row 1. Teacher, 2., 3., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 9., 10., 11., 12. Tom Francis, 13., 14. Teacher.
Middle row 1., 2., 3., 4.,...
Image ID KBA_PPL_005
29. Salcott School. The photograph was damaged in a fire at Kay's office
Image ID KBA_PPL_006
30. Salcott men.
Dec 2013 Robert Beecham writes: My wife reckons the man with the sailing cap looks like me - got the big ears and long nose. So he is perhaps...
Image ID KBA_PPL_009