1. The 'new' Victory, Coast Road, West Mersea. The house boats on the right are the ERICINA and the EVANDRA. Another copy of this card was mailed 6 July 1916.
Date: Before July 1916
Image ID SFR_220
2. The Victory, old City, West Mersea. Colchester Brewing Co. W. Trim proprietor. Wines & Spirits.
This pub was closed in 1906 when the new Victory Hotel...
Date: Before 1906
Image ID LH15_202
3. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. 1980s?
Image ID LH4_011
4. Fountain Hotel, Queens Corner, now the site of Fountain Court.
It was built in 1912, replacing the earlier Fountain further along East Road near the Fox....
Image ID LH4_029
5. Victory Hotel with its dance hall. The dance hall was burnt down c1942. From Mersea Island Directory c1935.
Image ID MD05_010
6. Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the...
Image ID MF10_001
7. From Mersea Island Golf Club Official Handbook Page 4. The Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. Proprietor H.T. Hone.
Image ID MIGC_007
8. White Hart Bar
Date: 30 May 2010
Image ID MLD_WHT_001
9. Dog & Pheasant, East Mersea, with donor's great uncle outside, centre. Licensee is J.C. Hoy.
Image ID MMC_2010_10_008_F
10. The Old City with the Victory centre left and Cornerways on the right at the bottom of the Lane. Cornerways was later reduced in height. Carriage at the bottom...
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_013
11. The new Victory Hotel - a Cleghorn postcard. Landlord Bill Trim to the right of the front door ?
Image ID MMC_P755_033
12. "Our Wants Supplied". Great Eastern Railway bus F1610 outside the White Hart, West Mersea. Jack Saye says that the conductor standing in front of the bus is...
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_078
13. The White Hart Hotel did not always look half timbered. It is difficult to date this photograph - Berry's bus LC7804 was in service with them 1906 to July 1922....
Date: Before July 1922
Image ID MMC_P755_084
14. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea - a Cleghorn postcard.
Licensee C. Wopling. C. & W.R. Seabrooke's Fine Pale and Mild Ales and Porter.
Cart on the left...
Image ID MMC_P755_107
15. The old Fountain, near the Fox on East Road. It is now Alpine Cottages. Licensee Mary Ann Smith.
Photo by Cleghorn.
Image ID MMC_P755_120
16. East Road - the Fox in the distance and the old Fountain on the right, now Alpine Cottages. The Fountain licensee is Mary Anne Smith. Cleghorn postcard. Another...
Date: Before September 1905
Image ID MMC_P755_144
17. The New Fountain on the left with Fountain Cottage and Upland House beyond. East Road looking towards Queens Corner.
The Fountain is mentioned as 'new' in...
Date: Before August 1913
Image ID MMC_P755_151
18. A Berry bus LC7804 passing the Fountain, Queens Corner. Daniell & Sons, Fine Ales and Stout. Licensee Edith Smith. M.O. Smith has the shop on the...
Date: Before July 1922
Image ID MMC_P755_152
19. View from Church Tower, West Mersea to White Hart and looking north up High Street. The open space just right of centre became the Primrose and later Eastern...
Date: Before 1911
Image ID PG2_127
20. The Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. C. & W.R. Seabrooke's fine pale and mild ales and porter. Landlord J.H. Death.
Postcard mailed 18 August 1918
Date: Before August 1918
Image ID PG2_221
21. Victory Hotel, West Mersea, from houseboats. Dutch yacht in front of hotel. The Victory Dance Hall can be seen on the east side of the hotel.
Date: Before September 1929
Image ID PG2_311
22. White Hart Hotel, West Mersea, decorated for Coronation of King George VI.
Date: cMay 1937
Image ID RFX_003
23. D'Wits Tea and Oyster Rooms, West Mersea. White Hart on the left. Looking across the corner of Yorick Road - now the Cock's butchers. Postcard published by T...
Image ID RG11_217
24. Peldon Rose. The name over the pub door is Jane Pullen. The wagon on the right is from the Co-operative Society. Postcard mailed 11 August 1910.
Date: Before August 1910
Image ID RG11_401
25. The Fountain Hotel, Queens Corner, West Mersea. Built by Maurice Mark Thorp in 1912, bricks made in Mersea. Demolished 1999.
Photo by Tony Ward.
Image ID RG19_101
26. Cottages in the Lane, partially demolished, thought to be in the 1920s. The site is now The City Hall assembly hall was built on the site around 1930. The...
Image ID RG19_119
27. The Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. Postcard undated
Image ID SKP_015
28. The Fox on East Road when the old hall stood next to it. Old King Coel strong ale. Brilliant bottled beer. Famous stout.
Image ID SS020065
29. Inside the old Victory. John Milgate, Ernie Cudmore, William Wyatt, Ernie Wells, Zebedee Milgate, Sid Stoker, Herbert Welham, Charlie Mussett and Bob Burgess....
Image ID SS040047
30. Outside the White Hart. L-R 1. Charlie, who worked behind the bar at the White Hart, 2. ?, 3. Edwin Woods, 4. Polish man who settled after the war and worked at...
Image ID SWA_021