1. Taken near the beginning of last century, from Church Road.
The only building in Coast Road is the pair of weatherboard cottages opposite St Peter's Well....
Image ID AA000000
2. West Mersea postcard, looking to the west from Decoy Point.
Image ID TMPC0702
3. The Strood connects Mersea Island to the mainland. Postcard by F.W. Pawsey, Ipswich.
Image ID TMPC0703
4. West Mersea postcard.
Image ID TMPC0704
5. The Beach, West Mersea
Image ID TMPC0705
6. West Mersea Fire Brigade's team of five who won the Essex County Brigade's quiz for Retained Firemen in Chelmsford.
L-R Gordon Allen, Alec Garnham, Joe...
Date: 17 February 1958
Image ID ALN_FIR_015
7. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with the new Dodge 758JNO. Photograph at the Fire Station in Melrose Road.
Date: April 1957
Image ID ALN_JNO_001
8. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with new Dodge 758JNO. Outside the Melrose Road Fire Station.
L-R 1. Oscar...
Date: April 1957
Image ID ALN_JNO_003
9. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with the new Dodge 758JNO.
Date: April 1957
Image ID ALN_JNO_007
10. West Mersea Mill - Fred G. Smith. A wonderful photograph of the old and the new. Stanley Mole on the left holding the horse and Herbert Marrow far right with...
Image ID ALS_C20_005
11. Frederick Herbert Smith and Herbert Marrow with Fred G. Smith delivery van. It is a Morris, registration BVW367. The door advertises Lyons Cakes. Phone Number...
Image ID ALS_C20_019
12. 1937 Coronation Arch decorated by May Bros, Langenhoe. Pete Tye Common at the bottom of Langenhoe hill - the boundary of the parish. "Welcome to Loyal West...
Date: cMay 1937
Image ID ALS_WHI_002
13. Jubilee Arch at Queens Corner. Upland Road in the distance with the blacksmith shop on the corner.
Date: cMay 1935
Image ID ALS_WHI_006
14. A school trip from West Mersea to London Zoo, July 1920. Primrose Bus. Headmaster Mr Green is standing on the stairs wearing a black trilby. Note the...
Date: 19 July 1920
Image ID ALS_WHI_013
15. Top Chapel in Mill Road, West Mersea. The building on the left at the end of the drive was a very early school on the island. The Congregational Church is now...
Date: Before May 1905
Image ID ALS_WHI_031
16. C.M. White, Builder. Mill Road, West Mersea, looking south. Just beyond White's shop is the gate and railings of the Congregational Church. The shop to the left...
Image ID ALS_WHI_045
17. White's shop in Church Road. The bicycle on the right says "White's up to date drapers". Postcard franked 18 September 1909.
Date: Before September 1909
Image ID ALS_WHI_047
18. The mill in Mill Road, West Mersea.
Image ID ALS_WHI_051
19. 2005 Oyster Dredging Match - weighing and prizegiving at the Packing Shed.
Richard Haward centre with the microphone. To the left of him Terry Sutton,...
Date: 11 September 2005
Image ID AMG_DGM_041
20. Heritage Open Days at Mersea Barrow. Keith Lovell directing the traffic.
Photograph from ...
Date: 14 September 2014
Image ID ATL_001
21. Aerial view of part of East Road, West Mersea, looking northeast. Brierley Hall is lower centre. On the left is Mondamin, with Patricia Catchpole's stables next...
Image ID AWA_011
22. Patricia Catchpole's stables on East Road.
Anne Watson says "The second building was put up in 58, we called it "Buckingham Palace" it was an old prefab...
Image ID AWA_025
23. Patricia Catchpole at Hall Barn Riding Stables.
Image ID AWA_029
24. Crossing the Strood in thick snow, probably 1958. Anne is fairly sure it's Underwood's taxi, driven by Jack Saye. "The snow looks about a foot deep," she said,...
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID AWA_051
25. 1958 - 1959 West Mersea School Concert at the British Legion.
L-R Susan Fahie, Carol Wignall, Marina Hewes, Sarah Vince, Judy Farthing, Sheila Slowgrove,...
Image ID AWA_061
26. Netball or Rounders team at West Mersea School 1958 - 1959.
Back row: Wendy Stubbings, Marlene Fletcher, Shirley Ward (Teacher). Christine Russell,...
Image ID AWA_063
27. Mersea Garden Centre on the east side of Dawes Lane as you approach East Road. The Garden Centre was run by Anne and Les Watson 1978 to 1982.
Image ID AWA_101
28. Part of V.J. Watson's yard which was in business in Prince Albert Road from about 1974 to 1996. They sold mainly diesel engine spares for Paxmans etc., and...
Image ID AWA_103
29. Barge P.A.M. at Mersea Strood. Believed to have been taken by skipper George Blake or his camera.
P.A.M. was built 1901 Rochester Official No. 114801 and...
Image ID HBC_018_001
30. Barge P.A.M. discharging stone at Mersea Strood, with a cheerful gang of Ukrainians. From "Tide Time" by A.S. Bennett, published 1949. Chapter X describes the...
Image ID IA002160