1. Sailing barge LEOFLEDA at Maldon. She was built Harwich 1914 and owned by E. Marriage & Sons, East Mills, Colchester. Official No. 132906.
Comment De ...
Image ID HBC_006_001
2. SUNBEAM at Maldon Quay around 1904 embarking the Mayor and Corporation on their annual inspection of the Blackwater.
Photo from R.H.Perks, Faversham.
Image ID HBC_006_002
3. Maldon Regatta June 1895. DAWN is in frame left of centre. Francis Frith photograph 35655.
Date: June 1895
Image ID HBC_006_003
4. Sailing barge EDITH MAY at Heybridge Basin.
Image ID HBC_006_004
5. Barge ABERGAVENNY at Heybridge Basin 12.15pm 17 Mar 1889. She was built Aylesford, Kent in 1808.
Photo from Nautical Photo Agency.
Date: 17 Mar 1889
Image ID HBC_006_005
6. The sailing barge DILIGENT (1877) lying in Heybridge Basin in the 1930s. Beyond can be seen the stern and wheel of UNITY.
DILIGENT became a lighter in 1935 ...
Image ID HBC_006_006
7. The LORD WARDEN at Salcott unloading flints, c1920. Her skipper at this time was Jack Spitty.
Used in Down Tops'l page 65 - see this for more information, ...
Image ID HBC_006_007
8. Motor Barge PORTLIGHT and Sailing Barge SPINAWAY C in the River Blackwater off Bradwell Power Station. Essex County Standard photograph.
Image ID HBC_006_008
9. Loaded barge going down the Colne past Wivenhoe. Fingringhoe Ballast Wharf ahead of her.
Image ID HBC_006_009
10. GEORGE SMEED at Fingringhoe Mill
Image ID HBC_006_010
11. GEORGE SMEED at Fingringhoe Mill
Image ID HBC_006_011
12. River Medway (?) and tug KESTON. Photo from Barry Pearce.
Image ID HBC_006_012
13. Barge warping at Walton Beach. For details of this trade, see Down Tops'l.
Image ID HBC_006_013
14. Barge tacking up to Battlesbridge. Burnham on Crouch from the water. River Crouch. Barge is VICTOR or VICTORY of London.
Image ID HBC_006_014
15. Barge in Harwich Harbour with jib set and bowsprit up. Copyright Douglas Norman, Brightlingsea.
Image ID HBC_006_015
16. Sailing barge GLADYS new at Harwich in 1900. The back of photo marked H Cann.
Image ID HBC_006_016
17. Pin Mill, on the River Orwell, with its inn, the Butt and Oyster. Barges DANNEBROG Official No. 109881, HERBERT GORDON Official No. 94575 and the hulk of JESS. ...
Image ID HBC_006_017
18. Ipswich Lock c1890. L to R MALVINA of Rochester, UNITY of Rochester, VICTORIA Ipswich, CARRIE LOUISE of Shoreham (boomie). From a photo in the Orwell arms ...
Image ID HBC_006_018
19. Barges MAY and KIMBERLEY loading grain ex ABRAHAM RYDBERG in Ipswich Dock.
There is a similar photograph in Down Tops'l, page 129.
Date: July 1939
Image ID HBC_006_019
20. Sailing barge THALATTA at Gorleston.
Date: October 1977
Image ID HBC_006_020
21. Sailing barge RAYBEL Official No. 145058
at Great Yarmouth.
Image ID HBC_006_021
22. ALF EVERARD in dry dock. Is this the dry dock at Fellows at Yarmouth - where the ALF EVERARD was built ?
ALF EVERARD built 1925 by Fellows at Great ...
Image ID HBC_006_022
23. Sailing barge PHOENICIAN at Great Yarmouth.
Image ID HBC_006_023
24. Sailing barge SARA. Steamer EGYPTIAN --- probably 2,866 grt built 1920 Official No. 143646.
Image ID HBC_006_024
25. Barges ?, KING, D.E.F. (?), SIRDAR (?). Hulk of steamer in right background. Location unknown.
Image ID HBC_006_025
26. Sailing barge NORTHDOWN at West Bay.
NORTHDOWN was built Whitstable in 1924. In 1991, she went to Port Musee, Douarnenez, but by 2016 was in a mud berth on ...
Image ID HBC_006_026
27. Sailing barge FAVORITE of Rochester. Photo from Books Afloat, Weymouth
Image ID HBC_006_027
28. Sailing barge THYRA in Doig's drydock, Grimsby, c1962. Photo by George T Wood, who gives the history of the drydock in an accompanying letter
Image ID HBC_006_028
29. Barge THYRA at Grimsby. Photo by George T Wood.
Image ID HBC_006_029
30. Sailing barge THYRA in J.S. Doig's drydock at Grimsby
Image ID HBC_006_030