1. Sailing Barges. [DW]
Barges weighing anchor in the Colne on a fine summer's morning as
others sail out of the river, bound for the Spitway, a narrow, ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_001
2. Barges on the Orwell off Harwich. [DW]
Barges becalmed in the Orwell, off Harwich, 1934. Sailing barges were at the mercy of calms and in light airs much ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_003
3. XYLONITE steel barge at Mistley. [DW]
Foredeck of a working barge. The XYLONITE at Mistley Quay, 1947. This photograph shows in detail the hand windlass, ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_005
4. CYGNET. A smaller East Coast barge with tiller steering, at Pin Mill. [DW]
CYGNET Official No. 84028. [MNL 1916]
Barges at Pin Mill. A working barge ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_007
5. Barges at Colchester Hythe. [DW]
Douglas Went saw the Indian summer of the sailing barge and this photograph of Colchester Hythe in the 1930s shows nine ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_011
6. Barges windbound off the Promenade [Brightlingsea] [DW]
Barges windbound in Colne during a south-westerly gale. Prolonged bad weather meant loss of ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_017
7. Wakeley's coasting barge NELLIE PARKER claws off a lee shore during a gale in the Blackwater. Wakeley's blue masthead 'bob', with its white cross, was well ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_023
8. Timber - unloading in Heybridge Basin. [DW]
Discharging timber from a sailing barge at Heybridge Basin, on the river Blackwater, 1937. Until the early ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_025
9. Barge with Straw (a Stackie). D Went Wellers (from back of photograph --- DW). "A very valuable photo" (from John Leather).
This faded print is one of ...
Image ID BOXB5_012_029