ID ML2017_002_L21 Article from Mersea Museum
|Title||Mersea Life - the 'Old' Fountain|
Our local scene this month comes from a very faded postcard given to me
many years ago by Mrs Ivy 'Doll' Cook née Green. The scene is the 'old' Fountain in East Road c 1908 when the inn keeper was Charles Boggis. Fortunately Doll has written the names on the back of the card so we know the horsemen are Tom Saye and Frank Hyam. The girls sitting on the seat are Ivy Green, Gertie Lilley, Georgie Boggis and her sister Empsie. The older lady on the seat dressed in black is thought to be the landlady Mrs Julia Boggis. The inn keeper Charles Boggis stands in the doorway and his son George stands in front of the window.
Before Julia and Charles Boggis, the 'old' Fountain had been run for many years by Mary and James Smith. James died in 1901. In 1912 Mary Smith and her daughter Edith bought land at Queens Corner and then built the 'new' Fountain there. The license transferred from the 'old' to the 'new' Fountain and it opened around the beginning of 1913, run by Mary and Edith Smith.
The 'new' Fountain was demolished in 1999 to be replaced by Fountain Court. The old one, now named Alpine Cottages, still stands as three cottages.
Article for Mersea Life February 2017
|Title:|| Old Fountain East Road. Tom Saye & Frank Hyham with horses. The girls on the bench are Dolley Green, Gertie Lilley, Georgie Boggis & sister Empsie. Mr Boggis landlord. Charles Boggis, who ran the Pub stands in the doorway whilst his son, George, poses in front of the window. The Fox can just be seen on the extreme left.
The names were written on the back of the card by Dolly Green who gave Ron the card. She married Pheonix (Bill) Cook.
The license was transferred to the new Fountain Hotel by Queen's Corner and the old Fountain Pub in East Road is now three cottages.
|Source:||Ron Green Collection|
This item is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection. The contents must not be published without the permission of the Museum. The information is accurate as far as is known, but the Museum does not accept responsibility for errors.