Underwoods Garage in Kingsland Road closed on the 1st October 2015. It was built in the 1930s when Philip Underwood moved his business from East Mersea.
The first photograph is from the Brian Jay collection, courtesy of the Underwood family. This is the original Underwoods Garage in East Mersea and the picture dates from 1926 when the garage was thriving. It carried on with other owners until about 1950.
The second photograph is from John Hadley and shows the Kingsland Road garage in around 1960. The petrol was four shillings and tuppence a gallon for Shell Mex and the better stuff with ICA (Ignition Control Additive - remember that?) was four shillings and eightpence.
From Mersea Life October 2015, Local page 59.