Roman Burial Group discovered at West Mersea.

Article from Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924 by G.M.B. Discovery of a tomb while digging for foundations of a house at West Mersea. About 57 feet west of the foundations of the Roman circular building [the wheel tomb].
This volume of Transactions is held by Museum, MuseumItem 2011-03-001B 2011.03.001B
Author: G.M.B.
1924
128-130

Related Images

 Roman Burial Group discovered at West Mersea.
 During the summer of 1923, in the course of digging for the foundations of a house that is being built for our member, Mr Norman H. Bacon at West Mersea, a burial group of the Roman period, dating probably from the end of the first century AD, was discovered. The tomb was about 57 feet west of the well-known foundations of the Roman circular building, which is situated in the garden surrounding Mr Bacon's house, and about 18 inches below the surface... 
 From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, page 128.
 The brick tomb is SMR / EHER 2109, but the description in the SMR record says it was discovered E of the wheel tomb, not west as above.
 Mr Bacon's house is Casa Pantis, a Grade II listed building House, two storeys, built 1923 by MH Baillie-Scott and Beresford for N.H Bacon Esq.  EAS_1924_012EAS_1924_012
Roman Burial Group discovered at West Mersea.
"During the summer of 1923, in the course of digging for the foundations of a house that is being built for our member, Mr Norman H. Bacon at West Mersea, a burial group of the Roman period, dating probably from the end of the first century AD, was discovered. The tomb was about 57 feet west of the well-known foundations of the Roman circular building, which is situated in the garden surrounding Mr Bacon's house, and about 18 inches below the surface...
From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, page 128.
The brick tomb is SMR / EHER 2109, but the description in the SMR record says it was discovered E of the wheel tomb, not west as above.
Mr Bacon's house is Casa Pantis, a Grade II listed building "House, two storeys, built 1923 by MH Baillie-Scott and Beresford for N.H Bacon Esq."
1924
 Roman Burial Group from West Mersea. Photo by A.G. Wright.
 From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, facing page 128.
 See also <a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&bid=COLM_BAR_048>COLM_BAR_048 </a> for a similar but better quality photograph.  EAS_1924_014EAS_1924_014
Roman Burial Group from West Mersea. Photo by A.G. Wright.
From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, facing page 128.
See also COLM_BAR_048 for a similar but better quality photograph.
1924
 Continued from page 128.
 ... The lamp (length 4 inches) is of red pottery ... the name of the maker IEGIDI is stamped on the bottom ...
 From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, page 129.  EAS_1924_015EAS_1924_015
Continued from page 128.
... The lamp (length 4 inches) is of red pottery ... the name of the maker IEGIDI is stamped on the bottom ...
From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, page 129.
1924
 Continued from page 129.
 ... They are now on permanent exhibition in the Roman Gallery at Colchester Museum. ...
 From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, page 130.  EAS_1924_016EAS_1924_016
Continued from page 129.
... They are now on permanent exhibition in the Roman Gallery at Colchester Museum. ...
From Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol. XVII Part II. 1924, page 130.
1924
ID: EAS_1924_RBG


This item is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection. The contents must not be published without the permission of the Museum. The information is accurate as far as is known, but the Museum does not accept responsibility for errors.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2017